Suggested Laptop (specefic needs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyboosh

Broken In
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a laptop since i'm going away to university and i will need to completely depend on it for my computing needs. I'm listing the things i'm looking for and the price i'm ready to pay for it, although i'm a little technologically challenged, i can understand some of the tech talk.

Here's what i need/what i'm going to use it for
Well, i need a dual boot system with Kubuntu and (maybe) Windows XP/2000 running on it.I'm basically going to be using my laptop for

> Downloading torrents
> Listening to music
> Storing/watching/burning Movie DVDs
> Running basic word processors and presentation software
> Running Image Editing software (Photoshop, Corel Draw, Illustrator etc)
> Running Sound editing software on it (Nuendo, Fruity Loops)
> and Maybe, just maybe..movie editing softwares (Now you know why i need the dual boot with windows)
> Wi-Fi
> Bluetooth

> I'm looking at atleast 1 GB DDR memory, with upto 4 GB extendability

> HDD space of about 120 - 160 GB (I may have an additional 160 GB HDD which i'm going to try and convert to a removable drive, please do tell me if that's a good option)

> About the sound; as far as i know..the Laptop speakers are pretty crap (aren't they?) and i don't want to use headphones all the time, so i'll be looking at buying speakers along with the Laptop, any recommendations for this?

> I'm going to be using it outdoors and indoors, which means that i'm looking at battery life of about 2 hours on an average.

Note: I'm not into games, i play a few sometimes but not an avid gamer.

The Price: Something around 55k, inclusive of taxes, exclusive of price of speakers.

I read some HP product reviews and disliked it because of the low charge time. Although i quite liked the Dell Inspirion 1520. I'm looking at using the laptop for atleast 2 years with minor upgrades (Nothing major)

So, well..Do you have anything in mind?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Dell, 1520 with 2gb RAM, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64496

as the thread I gave u was Rs. 53k incl all with 1gb RAM but dell made a price cut which u can read in that thread, so right now in 55 incl All, Dell 1520 with 2GB RAM would be Rs. 55k

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Get Dell 1420 instead. It will be further cheap & you can use the saved money for something else.

THe only differance compared to Dell 1520 is a 14 " screen compared to 15" screen

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
Some questions;

> As i said, i'm going to university (the UK) so should i expect any customer support over there? Or is it suggested that i get a Laptop once i get there (the reason i wasn't buying one at university is that i've heard it would be more expensive)

> The Dell 1520 you just stated, I'm hoping it lasts about 2 hours outdoors when fully charged?

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
^^It lasts 4 hours on 9 cell battery...
Also Dell laptop bought in India will have warranty applicable in Asia-Pacific region only...

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
Alright..that sounds neat.

You're computer people (no offense) so you'll probably be the best bet to answer this. How are Dells compared to other brands (HP, Compaq, IBM etc)

EDIT:

I was just reading something, and it said that the modem might not work while using Linux (Ubuntu)? I need to use the internet while using kubuntu. advice?

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mushroomcloudwarrior said:
I was just reading something, and it said that the modem might not work while using Linux (Ubuntu)? I need to use the internet while using kubuntu. advice?

Thats for the internal 56K modem which is outdated in USA. :D

Still, you can buy a cheap USB dial up Modem if required.

Or you can use your mobile phone there to connect to your computer using EDGE technology upto a speed of 384 kbps. All GSM/CDMA carriers provide this feature for some money in USA. Inquire which carrier is good in the area u r going to, AT&T or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Pathik

Google Bot
i suggest that u go to uk and get a dell 1520 from there only.. Ll work out to be cheaper..

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
Right Google bot..checking out prices right now.

Would any of you know if i get a 30% (?) discount because i'm not a resident there and hence no taxes? i heard one of my professors say this.

Another thing that's keeping me from doing that is, i would need somebody to set up my computer properly (because i need a dual boot, and the fat32 discs mounted on linux for access etc) for which i will obviously be charged extra, right? making it the same price

Last edited:
OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
Hi

I came across the Inspiro 6400.I'm a little confused here..

As i mentioned before, i don't know much about computer configs, but i compare the two here. the major differences i found;

Inspiro 6400 Inspiro 1420
Processor :Duelcore T2080(1.73 Ghz) Duelcore T5250 (1.5 Ghz)
Monitor: 15.4 in 14.1 in
Price (w/o taxes) :43,294/- 47,698/-

(these prices are after upgrading the HDD space to 160 GB)

Could someone please tell me the reason for this strange imbalance please?

BUMP

Pathik

Google Bot
Yup cos the c2d t5250 performs better than the dual core t2080... also has more cache... also the rest of the config wont be the same..

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
ah i see. But for the requirements mentioned above..Which processor's more powerful?

i don't really care about the screen size, just need a powerful processor along with good storage space.

Ordering a Dell on the internet is safe? or would you suggest going to dealers?

Pathik

Google Bot
I dont think dell has retail dealers in india.... many ppl from the forum hav ordered online and it seems completely safe..

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
pathiks said:
I dont think dell has retail dealers in india.... many ppl from the forum hav ordered online and it seems completely safe..

Dell has retail stores in all 4 major cities

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
4 Major cities, I'm assuming there is one in Bombay?

Google doesn't have any answers for me and the Dell website is convinced that ordering online is the only way to buy laptops. I'm part of the logistics who are not yet convinced about buying online. I would feel much better if i there is a physical place and i can talk to a real person. Would anyone know where the Dell retail shop is in Mumbai?

Questions:
1. The RAM on 1420 is 1 GB (512 x 2) i wanted to know what the upgrade limit is?

more questions later, i forget..

Ash HFZ

Techno Enthusiast
I dont think they have retail outlets anywhere in India and you only have to order through their website.....

And back to the topic : The 6400 does not make use of the Santa Rosa platform and does not have all the features of the new Inspirons (1420/1520/1720).... It is better to go with one among the new Inspirons rather than the old ones..... ;)

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
Alright, i think i have made a decision on the Laptop;

It's going to be a Dell Inspiron 1420 default with only the HDD capacity increased to a 160 GB SATA.

I would still like to know what the RAM upgrade limit is..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom