Suggest which linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've P4 2.8 HT with original Intel 865, RAM=384(128+256; both 333MHz), BroadBand Connection, One Sata 80 GB Samsung along with another Samsung 80 gb connected through USB Case.

Currently using WinXP Prof, and want to continue it along with Linux (Yet not installed).

Which Linux should I use and what is this 64 bit version means, is worth it and can it be used as Dual OS?

Also Free CD from Shipit.Ubuntu.com a 64bit or 32 bit?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You should go for 32-bit as you have a 32-bit processor. Of course linux can dual boot with any operating systems including windows.
Ubuntu ships OS for both 32-bit and 64-bit as well as for PPC.

reddragon

In the zone
u can get it from the digit dvd also , digit and all others give mainly 32 bit versions for Intel and AMD athelonXP processors . to run 64 bit versions you need AMD 64 bit 3000+ or 3200+ or 3500+ like these or Intel Extreme editions.

mostly every linux user also have windows also in their PC , because there are some common aplications which you cannot do in Linux and there are many many applications which u can do only in Linux . every month Digit gives a linux in the DVD ...mainly its an iso image....get a blank Cd and copy it .... some good linux distors are SuSE, Fedora , Ubuntu , slackware , but for a newbie or windows user at first they can step into linux with the live cds

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
I suggest to install Mandriva Linux 2006 or Mandriva Linux 9.1 (came with Digit).
The Linux file is an ISO file. Use Nero and burn it as an Image and select the ISO file. When you have completed the burning process, boot from the CD/ DVD to install Linux. I suggested Mandriva Linux since it's very easy for Windows users , people who are new to Linux. There are also Live CDs available for almost all Linux distros. Try it first, I would be a good learning experience.

OP
D

darshanwadikar

Broken In
Hi Guys,
I've got so much confused of all types of linux distros available today. Don't know the exact differences between 'em.
Can u suggest which of the following distro should I use and why?
1]Red Hat
2]Ubuntu
3]Gentoo
4]Fedora
5]Mandrake
6]Mandriva

Also I currently use WinXP, and Iam learning .NET. So is it possible to run the ASP.NET webpages on linux? And which server program is available on linux similar to IIS in WinXP?

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
You can use ubuntu , I used it the first time when i decided to use linux, it is simple to install and configure. I currently use FC5 but a newbie may find it difficult to configure

EDIT: i didnt notice you had started two threads for the same question :( .

Reporting...

osinghrathore

Right off the assembly line
Ubuntu for sure...!
For .net programming mono is there but can't say abt ASP.net, Apache might run that. Just google it and you'll find your answer.

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
You forgot OpenSuse.It is a very easy Linux distribution to learn for beginners.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Which Linux should I use
Which is the BEST LINUX DISTRO

And this is what I feel of different distros you have mentioned
1]Red Hat - are u ready to cough up money?

2]Ubuntu - my preferred distro. I find maintaining it easy as it's debain based

3]Gentoo - well you can go about with it but you will have to follow it's documents properly. if u can't spend time reading everything on it then forget it. But, it has a huge forum

4]Fedora - derived from red hat. it's easy to use but sometimes gets me into a mess since it's working feels a lot different from other distros and I am not much of fan on rpm based distros.

5]Mandrake - easy for noobs. but it feels irritating if u are used to linux ways of doing things. so maybe you can go for this.

6]Mandriva - formerly mandriva see above

Besides as manas said OpenSuse is a really good distro. In fact IMO you should go for this one.

Also, before installing you should go for live cd's to learn basic usage of linux. And Knoppix will feel really good there, if you have RAM more than 256 MB.
If you have RAM less than 256 MB. Order Xubuntu try out the live cd. If you like it you can install from the same cd. Xubuntu is really light on resources and easy to use and looks nice too.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Suse is the best distro. Mandrake Linux is now called Mandriva!! There are others
like Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Gentoo, Linspire etc.,
If you have never used Linux before try a Live CD of Ubuntu or any other Linux.
Most distros have a Live CD. I suggest you install Mandriva Linux 2006. Since it's
easy to use for users migrating from Windows, it mounts the Windows partitions
automatically. It's so easy, trust me. You would definitely like Mandriva Linux.
Give it a try.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
tech_your_future said:
6]Mandriva - formerly mandriva see above

formerly mandriva or formerly mandrake

any way before jumping in the installer thing you must grab the basics of Linux using a live CD like Damn Small Linux or Knoppix

rahulkay

Broken In
Go, for mandriva linux (formerly known as mandrake), U will feel it most comfortable.

yet U could try OPENsuse linux AFAIK it is the best, nubies may not like it.

go get ur mandriva. ;)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
JGuru said:
I suggest to install Mandriva Linux 2006 or Mandriva Linux 9.1 (came with Digit).
The Linux file is an ISO file. Use Nero and burn it as an Image and select the ISO file. When you have completed the burning process, boot from the CD/ DVD to install Linux. I suggested Mandriva Linux since it's very easy for Windows users , people who are new to Linux. There are also Live CDs available for almost all Linux distros. Try it first, I would be a good learning experience.
but it does not seem to linux, it looks more like windows only

rajasekharan

Youngling
dreamlinux ....it plays media files straight out of box...atleast thats what i have heard...:) and looks good tooo, based on debian....
*www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/download.html

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hey. When I asked this question, you said search and all and you all came over me? Why? I am not complaining or something...... :-D

Try LIVE CD first. I did the same thing and then I installed Knoppix on my old dabba. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom