Suggest softwares for old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashish_m

Right off the assembly line
Hi. I have got a very old laptop.
P1 133MHz 16MB RAM 1.4GB HDD with CDROM, FDD and all...
I plan to use it for acedemic purpose, ie run MSOffice and some other such utilities. I have partitioned the HDD into two partitions, with virtual memory (permenant swap file) of 125 MB on one, so as to compansate the RAM. I have removed IE from windows 98, and most other useless utilities (for me, as I do not intend to use internet) using 98lite, making Windows some 150MB install. I have installed office97, as further office suits require IE.
I need some help now. Can u suggest any ways to improve the performance of the laptop? Any tweaks or boosters?I don't plan to upgrade the pc at all, coz my pocketmoney is 0 now. I know a memory upgrade is must, but I just can't afford it. All my startup programmes are removed.
Also, please suggest small utilities that you feel essential for such old laptop.
Any alternative browsers(small)?
Also, after installing win98 using 98lite chubby desktop install, and then moving to micro desktop, a folder called "sysbackup" is created in Windows directory. Can I delete it?

ujjwal

Padawan
You already have done a good job in tweaking your laptop. You might want to use Cacheman (Use version 3.x) to tweak your memory settings. You may also use a tool like RAMDef to free memory at intervals. As for browsers, most small ones are IE based, so you would need IE for them. You can use Lynx, a text based browser (no pictures).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom