Suggest me a Unix OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Broken In
Hi, Please recomend me a Unix operating system, which is better Solaris or Darwin, is there any other Pure Unix OS. And how about drivers and codecs for these os are these available freely , I can see nvidia drivers for Solaris but not for darwin.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I think Solaris is a pretty decent OS. There is x86 free, open source solaris 10 available. you can give it a try.

OP
grendel

grendel

Broken In
I do have opensolaris 10 DVD but yet to try it. How is darwin ? any one used it before? I cannot find the installer for the latest build .. and what is the difference between freebsd,openbsd and netbsd. which one is better for regular use.

@kalpik: I am against linux fanboys who spread hatered against other operating system .. I did not tell anything against linux or the technology. and BTW I am looking for Unix OS and not Linux.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Ohk.. Catch hold of mehulved, he'l give you the best advice on Unix :)
Eh?
Well if you talk about desktop usage. Linux would serve you the best. FreeBSD is quite close if you know your way around the system, which I am presuming you do, thus are asking this question. If you want quick start to FreeBSD, there's PC-BSD or DesktopBSD. But, the biggest 2 problems with FreeBSD or it's derivatives is poor flash support and lack of virtualisation. If you can live without the 2, FreeBSD is better than linux IMO. YMMV.
I have also heard good things about DragonFlyBSD, which is essentially a fork of FreeBSD but never tried it.
NetBSD and OpenBSD aren't really for home usage but well there are people who do use it.
As to Solaris, what is it that you're missing in Solaris? I have never touched Solaris or Darwin yet so can't say much on that.
And if you can define your usage pattern and level of expertise then prolly we can help better.

there is no such thing as Unix OS today. AT&T stopped its developement ages ago.
So unless you want to go hyper retro, switch to Solaris, BSD or Linux(in that order)
They can cater to unix users' needs quite effectively.
And HP-UX is another choice if you are used to a unix workstation.

praka123

left this forum longback
use HP-UX :rolleyes: go figure
almost all other *nix are open sauce and fanboys support them coz they like Open Source :evil:

use HP-UX :rolleyes: go figure
almost all other *nix are open sauce and fanboys support them coz they like Open Source :evil:
HP-UX is one of the closest OSes to Unix. It is propiatary like unix and can almost completely emulate unix. Its not designed for PCs and Designed for Workstations, just like unix. It costs a hell lot, again, just like unix.

So what more do you want ? It sounds as good(and bad) as the original thing.

infact, its supposed to be perfect for Banks, huge Libraries, and companies processing sensitive data.

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Solaris is probably the most advanced OS on the planet. But I'd recommend the Solaris platform (OpenSolaris, Solaris Dev. Edition etc.) or any other "pure" UNIX only if you are going to use its advanced features or if you want the additional security/stability.

If you're just starting out with *nix platforms, it'd really be better to learn the concepts in Linux. Linux isn't very different from Unix, you know.. atleast when viewed from an average user's perspective.

OP
grendel

grendel

Broken In
Thanks for the info guys :)

im perty bored by linux now, though i know only a few commands in linux I havent faced much problem cause i could find out a way thro problems quickly. But Unix is the baap of all OS ;) .. why stick with something which is not Unix :p .. time to move on.

Apple has stopped giving out binaries or bootable ISO of Darwin, only source is provided. last binary given out by apple was 8.0, the support site opendarwin is also shutdown due to lack of interest in community :mad: ...

I will give shot on both Solaris and FreeBSD on VM and do trial, based on mehulved's comment it seems like flash will be a problem.

@MetalHeadGautham: HP-UX is not available for x86/x64 :p it is available only for mainframes, so its out of question :p
Thanks again for the comments :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom