suggest an ext modem for linux..and other questions too

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdoc

Broken In
guys do linux distros detect external modems easily??i am planning to buy one as i am having an internal one currently.and please do suggest some models.apart from ubuntu which other distros have excellent hardware detection??preferebly one which uses rpm packages.and if i buy one ext modem will that be detected when i upgrade my os when new versions come up??thanks in advance ..

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Most new distros have no or little trouble detecting modems.

Are u buying a broadband or a dial-up modem?

Xandros, Mandrake i think are good, FC needs a little tweaking sometimes tho... havent used others...

Yes it will be detected unless the driver maker drops its support to the distro, but mostly, yes.

OP
techdoc

techdoc

Broken In
thanks qwerty maniac for the reply.i meant an external dialup modem as my internal one is only partially detected..

praka123

left this forum longback
I have a DAX 56k modem it works gr8.actually all ext.modems(rs232) are detected in Linux.mean time try to get ur internal modem works for u.

OP
techdoc

techdoc

Broken In
thanks prakash

one more thing i installed ubuntu and it detects my internal modem as conexant hsf modem.i configured wvdial and gnomeppp and put the modem as attached to ttyS0 AND WHEN I TRY TO DIAL OUT IT SAYS attempting to connect modem but after sometime it says modem not responding .any ideas how to configure this thing??

meanwhile i downloaded the scan modem tool and also the linuxant driver for my modem and got it working.during installation the driver said that already configured modules are available and should it use that or install any new thing..i allowed it use the thing already present on my system.but now the problem as you all know is linuxant only offers 14kbps connectivity for their free version and its very slow so i want to achieve net connectivity without using those linuxant driver.is it possible??anyway ubuntu recognises my modem as conexant hsf in device manager..i liked ubuntu so much.so if somebody can help me out please do.if its not possible i plan to buy an external dialup modem probably dlink.so thanks in advance for all of you guys.. :D

praka123

left this forum longback
you can try a program called minicom to test ur modem working..read "man minicom".there may be driver sources available for ur modem on net.try linmodems.org etc..i dont know if u've got a speed capped driver installed for linuxant...may be u can remove the default ubuntu drivers and try newest driver compiled from source installed..

*linmodems.technion.ac.il/

*gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_Dialup_Connection#HSF_Modem

*linmodems.org

*start.at/modem

*www.modemsite.com/56k/winmodems.asp

*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=111893&highlight=connexant+hsf

OP
techdoc

techdoc

Broken In
thanks a lot prakash :D
i downloaded minicom.deb package .but when tried to install it says error in package.i guess may be some dependency issues.now what do i do??

praka123

left this forum longback
@techdoc:
its really hard going to packages.ubuntu.com site and d/ling each and every dependecy.instead configure ur apt.then u can simply "apt-get install minicom" though i cant guarantee installing minicom will get u more speed or any such.infact going through net i think its really hard for ur modem to get the speed(56K) which it normally have..ppl with ur modems are talking about cracks for drivers of linuxant :lol:

*www.psychocats.net/linux/

OP
techdoc

techdoc

Broken In
@tech your future i triedthe command
sudo dpkg -i minicom
after i changed the dir to where minicom was kept..
the error msg was archive not supported error ..something like that..

@prakash many thanks for your efforts.me too searched for the drivers
but i couldnt get the correct package .the available ones are for old kernels.and it will be difficult for me to get the drivers as i upgrade the os .so i guess i may better shop for an external modem.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Rather go for
Code:
sudo apt-get isntall minicom lrzsz
Hope this should work. It works for me.

OP
techdoc

techdoc

Broken In
does canon ip1000 printer works properly under linux??i think tuxfan is using it.what about epson stylus c67??anybody with experience with these please do chime in.i did some googling and found that epson and hp are the best ones for linux.they are mostly supported.canon and lexmark are poorly supported..

naveenchandran

In the zone
@techdoc....

I have a Lexmark Printer....

Check out...
*users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/lex.html

Also Check out this link for linux printing support...
*www.linuxprinting.org/ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom