Suggest a decent C compiler please(Linux)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I had installed Anjuta in my last mint(3.0). Now after updating to Mint 4.0, I got a newer version of Anjuta which I just didn't understand. Couldn't get the program to run or compile or anything.
Just installed kdevelop but have trouble understanding the interface. How do I compile and run in it? Either tell this or suggest another compiler for my linux box.
I don't want to compile through terminal.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Re: Suggest a desent C compiler please(Linux)!

Ya installed that one through synaptic. Stupid thing didn't even place a menu entry or a Desktop icon. I should have been practicing some programs but instead I was looking for where it went. I couldn't even find it.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

In Kdevelop, create a new project, then run autoconf and friends, then configure then make.
You can also check the tutorials by piyush verma and roshan, out here

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

Ya installed that one through synaptic. Stupid thing didn't even place a menu entry or a Desktop icon. I should have been practicing some programs but instead I was looking for where it went. I couldn't even find it.

You badly need to learn some command line stuff. Or atleast on how to use Alt+F2 run method. Cause you could have simply typed eclipse and it would have started. MUCH faster than pointing and clicking. :|

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent

I already know that. Just din occur to me. Linux's user friendliness has spoiled me. But thanks. Thanks for the tutorials too.

^^good qn.

the compiler is GCC in all cases.
its an industry grade compiler
written personally by richard m stallman
rival to intel c, ibm c, microsoft c, so its top notch.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

what are the IDE available for GCC.
Personally i do not need them but many of my friends ask me.
so what to recommend to them?

btw, in programming KATE is better than gedit

In Kdevelop, create a new project, then run autoconf and friends, then configure then make.
You can also check the tutorials by piyush verma and roshan, out here

Thanks a Ton!
Really usefull:)

Last edited:

mehulved

what are the IDE available for GCC.
Which platform? Also, depends on how you define IDE.
There's so many of them. Eclipse, Anjuta, KDevelop, Kate, vi, emacs, geany, wxDev-C, Relo, etc.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

All I have to say is "gcc" . You can even use gedit with certain plugins to make iot more coder friendly. :) . If you are on WIndows Bloodshed Dev-C.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent

I am on linux. Which pluggins do you suggest for gcc? By gcc you mean using the terminal and gedit to compile, right. But pressing F9 on anjuta was a lot easier. Still just tell me how to do it through what you suggest. just in case I don't find an alternative.

mehulved

I am on linux. Which pluggins do you suggest for gcc? By gcc you mean using the terminal and gedit to compile, right. But pressing F9 on anjuta was a lot easier. Still just tell me how to do it through what you suggest. just in case I don't find an alternative.
Actually you should learn a bit about compilation and make system before you go too far with IDE's. First thing is to learn the language but you should also understand compilation process. Also, make is a very good system for handling larger projects.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I absolutely loved geany. It's pretty simple to use and is light weight. So I think I will stick with it. Thanks everyone for your inputs. I will try and learn more of both programming and linux so that I don't have to ask such basic questions again. Thanks again :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

Actually you should learn a bit about compilation and make system before you go too far with IDE's. First thing is to learn the language but you should also understand compilation process. Also, make is a very good system for handling larger projects.
Why use of IDE is discouraged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom