subwoofer near monitor???

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticflare

Journeyman
Is it true that the subwoofer must not be placed near the monitor. if so what is the safe range that can be maintained between the two?

busyanuj

In the zone
yes, the powerful magnet inside the subwoofter interferes with the monitor.

keep the subwoofer atleast 3 feet away from the monitor.

Tech&ME

Banned
The subwoofer is not magnetically shielded and should not be placed near the video displays. The subwoofer doesnot necessarily have to be placed in any particular relationship to the satellites since subwoofer contains no stereo information and sound is non-directional usually. Placing the subwoofer on the floor close to the wall provides maximum bass efficiency.

And btw. why did u post the same topic two times ????

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The best idea is to use the sub woofer as a side table to keep your heavy stuff say the UPS this way its away from the PC and at the same time held down by the weight of the stuff on top of.

Tech&ME

Banned
pradeep_chauhan said:
The best idea is to use the sub woofer as a side table to keep your heavy stuff say the UPS this way its away from the PC and at the same time held down by the weight of the stuff on top of.

Wht r u suggesting Mr chauhan ?? are you suggesting to either keep the UPS on top of the subwoofer or vice-versa ???? In either of the cases this is not a good idea i guess. Instead what would be better if the subwoofer is placed on the right hand side of the table on the floor and provided that the CPU is palced on the table top on the left side and the UPS on the same left side but on the floor. This will keep all the things clear off from each other and will not interfere.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I mean to say use the sub woofer as a side table. keep it on the floor and keep the UPS on top of it. It depend on how big the sub woofer is. I ahve a 12 " deive sub wooker that is 2.5 feet cube and i do the same things.
Why is it not a good idea?

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
d00d....y would u put anything on top of it???? so what if it's big??? its not as if the sub will fly away or something that u need something on top of it....what abt the UPS heating up???? just put the sub in some corner of the room against the wall....best performance....

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
@/atartic ;) : which model speakers u got ??? how big is ur room ? If u got a dig cam , just take a few snaps of ur speakers/woofer and 360 degree of ur room / might be able to help u out more on positioning of the speakers . This is not vaasthu or anything . Think of the as "Scope for Improvement" or "While you were Offline"

theraven

Technomancer
man it doesnt matter
what kinda freak wants the sub at face level/monitor level ?
a sub is MEANT to be placed on the floor .... a corner ....even a few cm's OFF ground ..
placement varies from subjective sound experiences to models and different speakers..
however NO SPEAKER system every makes anyone place the sub at ur face level ...
there is absolutely no point
SUAVE man tell him something !

Tech&ME

Banned
pradeep_chauhan said:
I mean to say use the sub woofer as a side table. keep it on the floor and keep the UPS on top of it. It depend on how big the sub woofer is. I ahve a 12 " deive sub wooker that is 2.5 feet cube and i do the same things.
Why is it not a good idea?

What kinda man r u ???? Don't u have some common sense ??? Man doesn't your UPS heat up, and who the hell told u to put that thing on top of the sub woofer man, don't u read the manuals, your SPEAKER SYSTEM (what ever make and size they are) must have come with some sort of "Installation Guide / Manuals, etc" they contain information about the "Proper Placement with some diagrams in some manuals for best performance " consult one man.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
FLASH NEWS : Speaker placement , defines the man u r !!!

Come on , anyone can make mistakes or in this case , trying out something kreative . even i just realised i have my woofer placed just below the monitor with a steel plate alone blocking the 2 . anyways , pradeep can check out good computer tables . Chennai guys can check out DAMRO's computer tables . Factory seconds , around 3500 Rs. Original around 5k . Not much difference , but the wood is beautiful .

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Not all sub-woofers are created equal. Some have magnetic shields and some don't. Some can be placed right next to the monitor without any ill effect, while some have to be placed some distance away.

Some sub-woofers produce more interference to the monitor from the power supply transformer than from the speaker's permanent magnet. If the interference is caused by the transformer, it will generally produce moving wavy distortions to the display.

Whatever the source, interference from the sub-woofer will seldom, if ever, cause permanent damage to the monitor. So it's safe to experiment and find out the minimum distance you have to keep between the two.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
do those heavy huge wooden casing protect other objects near woofers . are there any other material can be used to reduce harmful effects ?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Wood has no effect on the magnetic field radiated by either the speaker magnet or the transformer.

Shielding can be provided by a magnetic material such as a sheet of iron. But a thin sheet of iron such as tinplate will not be very effective, and steel can become permanently magnetized so that it may itself cause interference. A thick sheet of soft iron or special magnetic alloy such as mumetal will be ideal.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
what abt aluminium foil ??? its thin and flexi , plus might give a good look to ur speaker box , if cut out correctly .

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Tech & ME
I fabricate my own 5.1 system and there is no heat / over heating problem with my ups i use a apc & tvse ups. There is nothing wrong there. dear, dont just shoot of. Think logicaly and cool A sub woofer used as a side table is an efficent way of saving space. More over If you dont like my idea please feel free to keep the sub woofer in your lap for all i care.
The 5.1 system that i fabricate use the LM 3886 in bridge mode driving a bolton 12 " drive The enclosure is a close baffel 2.5feet square. The power output of the sub woofer is 100W rms.

Klinx
For shielding we have to use a ferrous material Aluminium will just not work

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
klinux said:
what abt aluminium foil ??? its thin and flexi , plus might give a good look to ur speaker box , if cut out correctly .
Al foil is no good as a magnetic shield. It will do fine as a shield to block out the electrical component of an electromagnetic field such as for protection against unwanted RF radiation, but not for the magnetic component.

The rule is : to block an electrical field you need a good electrical conductor. To block a magnetic field you need a magnetic material.

To be more accurate, the shield blocks the field by providing an easy path to flow in, that is, an electrical or magnetic short-circuit.

Tech&ME

Banned
pradeep_chauhan said:
Tech & ME
I fabricate my own 5.1 system and there is no heat / over heating problem with my ups i use a apc & tvse ups. There is nothing wrong there. dear, dont just shoot of.

Well Pradeep I didn't mean to offend you dear, I was just thinking about the damage it could do to your speaker system in a long run. Btw. If u have fabricated and have used concrete measures to ensure that your speaker system (sub woofer) does not damages itself then there is no problem in keeping the UPS on top of it.

But, I still amazed man, I have never seen anyone do this in my friends circle and other people whome I know. Neither I heard about such an setup anyplace...... Hope that sounds good ya. Nothing offending Man, cool down!!!

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
since we are in the topic of speakers , Whats the easiest way to make an amplifier .

I have a soundblaster vibra 16 isa card with my p1 , i attached creatives and a pair of old panasonic 350watts speaker (big ones) . i get good sound and can control the volume right from there . But when i attach those speakers to my Soundmax integrated on asus board , can hardly hear any sound . I use Frontech 4.1 for the integrated . I suppose the newer sound card/devices need amplifiers to run , while old ones don't . Why is this so ? Are there few parts i can get from the electronics store to amplify those old speakers with soundmax m/b . ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom