Strange Windows Folder problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

khandu

In the zone
Hey all

just reinstalled Windows XP a few days ago.. Now everything was workin fine.. But today when i started my windows and went into my C:\Windows .. the folder was like empty.. has only few garbage folders.. its properties shows just 200 MB with 1000 files.. even DOS prompt shows FILE NOT FOUND ERROR....

All i did different since yesterday and today was..

1) Detached a separate HDD of mine.. ( which was empty )
2) Installed a LAN card.. don't c how can that harm..

Anti virus has not found anything and windows is working PERFECTLY!!!

Here are some screen shots to prove my point..

WINDOWS FOLDER
*img479.imageshack.us/img479/8008/windowsfolderxq9.th.jpg

WINDOWS FOLDER PROPERTIES
*img469.imageshack.us/img469/7708/windowspropertiesbg9.th.jpg

DOS PROMPT WINDOWS
*img300.imageshack.us/img300/4834/dospromptzk0.th.jpg

Does anyone has ANY IDEA whats wrong.. man..

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I want to say 2 things: :)

1.) The folders in "Windows" folder are not garbage, those are the backup folder created by Automatic Updates, actually whenever we install Automatic Updates, it automatically create a backup of files before installing the new ones.

2.) What I think is, when u installed new windows, it was installed in other folder, like "windows0" or something like that instead of "Windows" folder! It happens many time, when U don't format the drive and install windows above the previously installed windows.

So just make sure that there is no other folder with similar name of "Windows" in C:\ drive ;)

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
dude i m not THAT stupid..

it was installed where it is suppose to be.. till yesterday all folders were showing in the same place C:\Windows

ok.. now lemme guess where have the actual windows folder gone??

If u want me.. i searched for any windows file.. like explorer.exe and the path shows c:\windows\

Also if i try to manually browse C:\windows\system32 .. the browser shows all files in that folder..

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Aaaha nd what do you get if you enable the option to show all Hidden files and folders with the option to hide system files unchecked ?

Oops I see option to show hidden files and folders is enabled. But how come the Windows folder size is just 191 MB mine is 4 GB donno if it could be 191 MB even after a stripped new installation ?

How many partitions do we have no the system ?

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I didnt mean that! :)

Ok! Did u try to give dir /a command in DOS?

Also make sure that "Hide protected operating system files" option is unchecked in Tools -> Folder Options.

At last u can remove the HIDDEN & SYSTEM attributes of all files/folders in "Windows" folder by giving following command:

attrib -h -s C:\Windows

May be it'll start showing all files/folders :)

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
sorry guys

nothin suggested on top works.. i have 3 partition in 1 HDD

well, i guess i will have to format for no reason..

vishal even hidden files will show their size on windows properties.. i know all those commands and nothing works.. /a just shows the same folders and then again error FILE NOT FOUND!!!

FORMATTING... :(

adit_sen

In the zone
also...are you logged in with an admin account? i'm not sure...but that could be the problem too...
there have been instances where some malware changes ur account type..has happened to me...
double check just incase...

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
To open your Windows Installation folder type this :
Start > Run > %systemroot% .. This will open the folder where Windows is installed (be it Windows or Window.00) ...

And when Windows is working all right then whats the problem ..?

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
adit_sen said:
also...are you logged in with an admin account? i'm not sure...but that could be the problem too...
there have been instances where some malware changes ur account type..has happened to me...
double check just incase...

Nope.. i am the admin.. account correct

it_waaznt_me : Whats the problem?? dude cannot see a single file in windows folder.. lol.. whats the problem.. and the folder is windows.. how many times do i have to tell u guys..

Vishal Gupta : sadly yeah.. after 5 hrs of RnD and no result.. i formatted and installed everthin within 30 min.. now workin great and updating my windows :)

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
it would have been nice if we could have had a chance to work on it.. truly strange problem.

i can only think that some how ur ntfs table got currupted(or attacked by virus) due to which it was not functioning correctly.
and there is a second copy of that table so i guess that programs n stuff were working thru that somehow.

did u run any disk checking software or software like pratition magic. they would have told what if there was any prob with the partition table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom