strange problem with drive letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansraj

In the zone
can anyone help me out.....
while installing win xp i had my pendrive connected to the usb port , somehow the partition c: didnt show up and instead F: showed .. i thought it as a one time abnormality and finished xp installation...... now i find that i dont have C: drive only, now i have D:, E: and the root Drive is F: instead of C:/.... and to my horror when i connected the same pendrive it was recognized as C:......

and to increase my problem .... now iam not able to install my reliance modem drivers coz it doesnt find some *.inf file in the C:/ and hence no surfing through xp......... please help me...
please TELL ME IF AT ALL I CAN CHANGE THIS F:/ TO C:/........

cyrux

In the zone
Remove partiotions and istall widnows again and this time dont connect ur pendrive...coz the comp rec. devies in the order they are connected

KnightRider

Broken In
well there has been some system problem....... u may try the computer management and restore the disk drive names. if that doesnot work (most probably that may not work for ur problem) gte back to registry and restore it one day before u installed the pen drive. if u get the registry backup done then the machine will work fine and u will need to install the pen drive again. if this also fails then better format and load the windows once again, which i consider is the best way.........

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
ooooh......
but in that case i will be loosing all my data.... then half an hour for fdisk..... half an hour for installing xp..... half an hour for installing the 98..... and again half an hour for repairing the boot.ini..... n 3 hour for installing all other programs....... huffffffffff
i think this is the most crude way of solving my prob.... there should be a better n a faster method.....

KnightRider

Broken In
hey you got to take the data backup in another drive-- that is obvious..... but try the computer management and chage the disk drive letter first. then try other things

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
WIN xp is a good OS so it stupidly gives prefrence to ur pendrive...

Well, try removin the pendrive drivers and disable it in ur windows manager or jus change the drive letter associated to it to some other char.
Now, Install xp and on the Blue screen on boot, delete ur previous win partition and install in the free space created... :D

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
i did change the driveletter of pendrive to I:/ but its not letting me change the system drive from F to C:/........... and do i need to reinstall xp ... the blue screen which u r talking about is not bit clear .... can u be a bit elaborate on it.....

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
After disabling the pen drive, u can use Partition magic to change the Drive letter of F: to C:, because windows manager will not allow u to change the system drive letter because its being used by system.

And I think QwertyManiac was talking about the Setup screen, which allows u to delete, create partitions during XP setup.

KnightRider

Broken In
dear hansraj,, i believe there is no other way other than formatting the c drive and reloading windows.. belive me that is the shortest way...... and you will also get the machine to a nice speed.

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
ok guys...... i give up........... the good old method of formating the c drive seems to be the only option and hope next time when i log in... it will be in the new installed xp....
once again thanx a lot........

IF DEATH STRIKES ME BEFORE I PROVE MY WORTH , I PROMISE I'LL KILL DEATH.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Because F: is where WinXP is, u have to live with F:.
However u can manage ur computer to change D: or E: to show as C:, but there is no way F: will become C:.

Remeber all the system files are referred to F:\Windows\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom