Strange Problem in OverClcoking Athlon64

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCSI

Right off the assembly line
My cousin had called me yesterday to overclock his system consisting of the below stuff

AMD Athlon64 3200+ (2.0Ghz,1MB L2 Cache, ClawHammer core with SH7-C0 revision), with Stock Cooling

MSI K8N Neo Platinum, with a active HSF on chipset

1 SAMSUNG 80 GB SATA HDD (Plugged on SATA 3)
1 Samsung 40 GB IDE HDD

Iomega 16X DUAL LAyer DVD writer

3*256 MB RAM Made by NANYA Technologies (has been checked for compatibility on MSI Test Report)

Now coming on the problem

I checked the RAM for its Overclockability (honestly I had never heard of NANYA technologies), the RAM did good it clocked 280 Mhz DDR ie 560 Mhz with tight timings of 2.5-2-2-5 on 2.75V

I set the HT multiplier to 3 and started pushing FSB with CPU multilpier set at 9 and CPU core set at 1.6V and RAM set at 2.5-2-2-5 with 1:1 ratio

As I started clsoing towards 267 Mhz HT the RAM started showing errors in memtest86 I was damn shocked. I had checked the RAM to be stable at 280 Mhz DDR with the same timings.

I reduced FSB to 255 Mhz yet the same thing.

Finally just to see if RAM was the actual culprit I decreased the CPU multiplier to 7. BUT ALAS! the Ram showed no errors in memtest86 and Prime95. I was shell shocked.

Now you ppl tell me is the CPU the culprit for all this??? I think the memory controller of the CPU is damaged some how or is not working properly.

Anyways if the above stated conclusion is true what wud I say for the replacement of the CPU to the dealer??? I mean he won't understand the technical terms as Memory controller on dies, etc.???

Help me plz.

D

Deleted member 5901

By the way once u overclock ur product goes out of warranty !!! and if the processor is running y r u fingering it !! just let it b !!! if ur so found of fast speeds save up and go for a daster processor and More Ram !!! like 512 mb or a 1gb dimm + 2*256mb !!! its better to b on te safe side!!!

Suggestion try doing OVERCLOCKING with a WATER COOLING KIT !!! mUCH SAFE ! !!

CHEERS !!!

OP
S

SCSI

Right off the assembly line
King_Niral said:
By the way once u overclock ur product goes out of warranty !!! and if the processor is running y r u fingering it !! just let it b !!! if ur so found of fast speeds save up and go for a daster processor and More Ram !!! like 512 mb or a 1gb dimm + 2*256mb !!! its better to b on te safe side!!!

Suggestion try doing OVERCLOCKING with a WATER COOLING KIT !!! mUCH SAFE ! !!

CHEERS !!!

Sorry to say but You know nothing about Athlon64's then
They are very heat efficient processors and U might have heard of huge Overclocks even on stock HSF.
For your suggestion of saving money here u go once u purchase a PC spending 50K+ on it and find that u can extract more then what u do??? buy a new processor and RAM or overclock???

Moreover 256MB RAM sticks overclock much nicely than 512 or 1024MB RAM sticks and this is not me who says this, A lot of forumers (not only of digit forum) say this b'coz they observe this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom