strange mobo!!!can't find AGP slot Help guyz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

techmax

Broken In
i have a vesta 845GLLY mobo ,the prob is that when i checked out the manufacturer's website it informed me that my mobo has a 4X AGP slot but when i opened my cabinet and looked at the mobo i was not able to find one.
But strangely just after the pci slots were there must be an AGP slot there is a series of silver dots in a rectangular shape and on the PCB is written AGP
now please tell me where is the AGP slot

theraven

Technomancer
are u sure u checked the right model number ? and that u have the very same ??
cuz it seems this mobo model doesnt have an agp slot
check the mobo box and manual ..
also recheck the model no.
cuz if after the white pci u dun have a brown agp then sorry to say u dont have an agp slot

OP
T

techmax

Broken In
theraven said:
are u sure u checked the right model number ? and that u have the very same ??
cuz it seems this mobo model doesnt have an agp slot
check the mobo box and manual ..
also recheck the model no.
cuz if after the white pci u dun have a brown agp then sorry to say u dont have an agp slot

check this out Raven *vesta-im.com/display.asp?pid=97&pt=mb&mbt=

i have the same motherboard with not a single difference except that slot

in place of that slot are the dots which i mentioned earlier

theraven

Technomancer
i still say check ur box and manual ..
cuz if u cant find the slot .. its just not there
and in that case the model must be different

i also went thru all the models there
all i can say is that u either got ripped off or are completely confused between companies and models :|
cuz there has to be an agp port if its ANY of those motherboards
and afaik ALL 845's come with an agp slot ...

sorry buddy

OP
T

techmax

Broken In
since my comp is 2 yrs old and unfortunately i have lost the manual but on the PCB its clearly written VESTA and the bios shows the 845gl version,is there any other way out since i am planning a system upgrade.

My friend just told me that the connections are there but the slot isn't
can this possible

Sourabh

Laptoping
Is it an assembled system or a branded one? If its a Branded one it can very well be possible that there wont be a AGP slot by default on the motherboard. It seems obvious that the chipset used is 845GL which has AGP Card Support but the manufacturer hasnt provided a slot mebbe to keep it in a Micro-ATX formfactor or due to mass orders for a particular Branded PC supplier.

Getting another board is the only option, you can get them pretty cheap these days for around 2k.

techmax said:
i have a vesta 845GLLY mobo ,the prob is that when i checked out the manufacturer's website it informed me that my mobo has a 4X AGP slot but when i opened my cabinet and looked at the mobo i was not able to find one.
But strangely just after the pci slots were there must be an AGP slot there is a series of silver dots in a rectangular shape and on the PCB is written AGP
now please tell me where is the AGP slot

I second Sourabh's comments. Most probably your motherboard came from a branded computer. It was custom made as per OEM specifications and even though AGP circuitry is implemented on your board (visible from what you call dots), the controller and connecter have not been included during manufacturing. This is done to save costs by getting rid of "unnecessary" features.

Keith

AlienTech

In the zone
techmax said:
since my comp is 2 yrs old and unfortunately i have lost the manual but on the PCB its clearly written VESTA and the bios shows the 845gl version,is there any other way out since i am planning a system upgrade.

My friend just told me that the connections are there but the slot isn't
can this possible

Like GM said, If Microsoft made cars the way it made windows... Lets see... GM made the Mercedes 1000 SLC.. Now if the seats in the back didn't work good then they just pulled it out, there was huge dent in the roof, so they pulled off the roof and made it into a 2 seater coupe.. And sold it as that.. Maybe one of the engine cylinders did not work so it because a 6 cylinder instead of an 8 cylinder... But you are getting the very same top of the line car but at a much better price without all the added luxuries.. Like maybe the AC does not work.. :) Thats how they make CPU's.. If it works at the top of the speed range then they sell it at a very high price, then they try it at the next highest speed range and if it works they sell it there... and so on.. But all those CPU's in the same line are made exactly the same way even if their speeds vary greatly...

Many companies will make Boards that can work differently and in a variety of ways, Its only very recently that you do not find very many boards for multi purpose uses.. IE making is board is very expensive, designing it and manufacturing it is very complex. The best example of this is TV tuner boards which can have many functions on them like stereo, amplifier, NTSC/PAL/SECAM modes, video capture, hardware compression etc etc etc.. All they do for the different boards is add chips for the different functions or not have them for the cheaper ones. Even if the board looks identical as the TV tuner card with hard ware compression and live video capture, I am sure no matter how much you try, the cheapo plain vanilla card will not be able to get those functions to work on it.

It always used to make me think that why they would go to so much extra work when some of the missing parts would cost them maybe rs5 total. So to even save money they would have to sell a lot of boards, those designers and engineers doing this dont work cheap.. But they try to save paisas here.. 1 paisa is 1 paisa... Some of these shops work on many million pieces and thats a million paisa... This is mostly a Chinese invention though. Cause you wont find such things on a US made board. But on the chinese ones you wont find 1 single extra unusable or unused component on there.

SOMETIMES, you can add the "slot" or what ever yourself but I am sure other parts are missing... They would not leave the resistor and capacitors and other things used to hook it up there. In some cases they get an order for a specific spec and they will change things fast and do it. Some times it means reducing functionality. I think it was DELL that ordered many million pieces of 20Gig HD's from maxtor... But since maxtor did not make 20GB HD's they just had a boot block which changed their 40Gig HD to appear as 20Gig's... You could reformat the HD and get 40 gig's.. It was chaper for Maxtor to just add the 20GB boot block to their 40GB hd than making a 20GB from scratch. Maybe the chinese would have done it differently... But maxtor is korean owned now I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom