Starting problem & system Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

technofreak

Right off the assembly line
i hav a 865GBF original inter motherboard with a 2.8c pro. 512 mb ram. 80GB hardisk.on board sound & Graphics.Its a new system around 4 months old . I hav a dual os windows 98 & XP . My problem is that when i press the systems power buttom it recieves power for a second or 2 and then turns off. THis happens abt 2 or three times after which i recieve a long beep and the system strats . I get a msg that "the system was shut down dew to thermal process(Overheating)" Than i hav 2 press F4 to cont. booting.
The Second problem is that While i m working on WIN XP the system restarts on its own. i hav tried reinserting the chips but it was useless. Please suggest where the problem lies & how to solve it

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Good God man! First off, if you are not sure of what you are doing, either take the computer to whoever assembled it or call a geek friend to take a look at it. What you need to do is to either apply a new coat of thermal paste and reseat the heatsink and cooling fan or your cooling fan itself has gone kaput, in which case you can get it replaced. Continue to do work on your PC and you run the risk of permanently damaging it. You should never see an overheating warning. This also explains your problems with Windows XP. If its not already too late, get your CPU fan and heatsink checked up first thing.

Kannan

In the zone
The reason for frequent restarts or turn-offs is that your system wants to protect your Processor from everheating.

Why overheating, because your Heatsink is not attached to the Processor properly or your Heat Sink Fan is not working.

So as enoonmai has said, this is the reason why system is restarting or shutsdown.

And I think its not too late as Intel Processors have overheating protection mechanism built in them. So don't worry. But can't be sure as still some processors go Kaput !!.

So change or re-attach your Heatsink with the processor with a good thermal paste and check if your Processor cooling fan is running.

Never switch on your system with your processor fan not running or not connected.

OP
T

technofreak

Right off the assembly line
r u people sure this is due to overheating .Since whenever i start mt PC the processor fan is always running . Secondly , the system temperature is also not very high(generally below 40 degree c) as shown in the BIOS. This problem i m facing when i m starting my computer which means the processor has not started yet so how can there be heating. Please reply

Tech&ME

Banned
technofreak said:
The Second problem is that While i m working on WIN XP the system restarts on its own. i hav tried reinserting the chips but it was useless. Please suggest where the problem lies & how to solve it

Your system is just 4 months old dude what CHIPS did u re - placed or re - inserting man ?? :lol:

Did u repaired your mobo ? :lol: I don't understand what CHIP u are referring to, that u re-inserted

Anyways,
1. the problem could be due to loose Power Button Wire (connection) with the mobo, check that out.

2. the CABINET might be having some problem with the Power Button, it might not be working properly.

3. the HeatSink might not be fixed properly, try to replace the Thermal Paste and also try to put the original Intel supported fan only in case u have a different fan fitted.

4. Remove the fan and clean it ( only if u know how to do that ).

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@Tech&ME: I think he was referring to the memory modules. And when it comes to cleaning, for most newbies and for temporary relief, a good blast from a vaccuum cleaner working in blower mode will take care of the dust, I should think. We dont want anyone taking things apart and not knowing how to put them back in, do we? :)

@technofreak: Get professional help for your computer, either from the manufacturer/assembler or from a geek friend. Do not attempt to remove/reseat the processor/heatsink/fan unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing. Most new processors/sockets are keyed and ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) compatible, so a mistake with reseating the processor might mean catastrophe if you do it wrong. And get a higher wattage SMPS from a friend's computer to test if the problem exists with your SMPS unit. Once again, its better left to the professionals.

Kannan

In the zone
I think what enoonmai has said is correct.

Do what he has said. But before that, I think you better take a backup of the data on you HDD and then play with you SMPS or other things.

As far as I have seen when doing experiments with a component, without our knowledge the other component also gets affected !!.

So better take a backup of data and also do things with a professional on your side.

shyam911

Journeyman
Hey i faced a similar problem. when i pressed the power button the system started and immediately lost power, this happened often and even if it starts it either restarts while working or if i put a cd/dvd in the drive then it restarted (i had posted my issue earlier). i finally found out that my SMPS was the culprit and got it replaced. Now its working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom