Start up prob and partitioning in linspire

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniobc

Broken In
I'm a newbee to actually properly uising Linux. Am currently xperimntin with Linspire. While starting up it says that "Unindentified mode number" something to do with graphics i think but when I press space or enter it loads just fine. 1. Can I prevent that initial flaw or whatever u call it?

2. Can I create new partitions through Linspire cause I couldnt through installation. I made an unformatted partition using fdisk and then ran the installation of Linspire.
HOW?????????

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can actually do the partitioning using the Wizard. Allocate 8 GB for root ('/')
and 1.5 GB for swap. If you are totally new to Linux world then, keep 10 GB of
unpartitioned space. During partitioning choose the option 'Allocate from the free space available'.
I haven't used Linspire. But this is the general procedure for all Linux distros.

mediator

Technomancer
What RAM u have? @Jguru dont u think 1.5 GB is too much for swap?
Mine RAM is 512 MB and I allocated around 1 GB previously to swap and and not even 300 MB of swap was being used at maximum utilization of system!

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
It actually depends on the programs you use. I use Java IDEs like NetBeans with
Oracle 10g & WebLogic Server. The result : It uses around 800 MB of swap!!
It's always better to have more swap. Your programs will load faster (they cache
them in memory).

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
WEll there is no damn partitioning wizzard in Linspire.Not during installation and neither after installation. What about the startup prob?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Why don't use try Mandriva 2006 Linux or Suse 10.1. They are easy to use & good enough
for people migrating to Linux from Windows.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
AFAIK there are no linspire users here so you won't get much help reguarding linspire partitioning since nobody here has used it. Maybe you can ask on forum.linspire.com or if you use another mainstream distro like suse, FC, ubuuntu which people here have used, they will be more likely to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom