Stardust virus lands on OpenOffice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
news.com said:
Researchers at Kaspersky Lab have spotted what they believe is the first virus for OpenOffice, the open-source rival to Microsoft's Office productivity suite.

The virus, dubbed Stardust, is capable of infecting OpenOffice and StarOffice, which is sold by Sun Microsystems, a Kaspersky Lab researcher wrote on the Russian company's Viruslist Web site on Tuesday.

Read the rest of the news here- *www.news.com/2100-7349_3-6078475.html?part=rss&tag=6078475&subj=news

shadow2get

In the zone
That's bad news. :mad:
Anyway its just a macro-virus & does not harm the computer.

I really don't understand why they are targeting
Open Source Software ? I think the Virus Developer must be a Hardcore follower of Microsoft ... :D

din

Tribal Boy
Oh no ! Sorry for the confusion.

Offtopic, I meant I am going offtopic on my reply. And there is a filmi magazine - Stardust.

Never meant the news / source is offtopic. Hope it clears :)

shadow2get

In the zone
which OSes are vulnerable to this virus?

Since this is a macro virus & written in StarBasic language... part of OpenOffice.org. It will affect all operating systems OpenOffice.org supports.

This following info is from Symantec:
Systems Affected: Linux, UNIX, Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

I think that answers your query. ;)

Also, Different AV programs detect it as follows:

* SBasic.Stardust.A!int (Symantec)
* StarOffice/StarDust.intd (McAfee)
* StarOffice/Stardust.A (ESET)
* Virus.StarOffice.Stardust.a (Kaspersky)
* XML_DUSTAR.A (Trend Micro)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Its not the end of the world, they'll patch it soon. The point is you do not need a "real time scanner" eating have your processor and RAM to protect your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom