Speaker Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
Hello,
I am planning to buy 5.1 speakers for my home PC setup. I had contemplated the Z 5500 but it is prooving to be too expensive. So hence i would like to buy something this is next in line (cheaper)

What I basically want is, speaker comparisons sort of like what Digit offers in their mags. Could you please tell me where I could find speaker comparison tests?

Also if that is not possible, then I have chosen
A- VS3251 rs 4,200
B- MMS460 rs 4,999

Could you please suggest me if these are good enough?

Thank you.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
As for the test, our own Digit mag had a issue dedicated to it. Dont remember which though. Whatever you do, go with the likes of Creative/Altec Lansing/Logitech and you won't go wrong :).

I suggest you take a look at Altec lansing's offerings.

royal

Padawan
You can goo for Logitech X540 @5000/- :)

Its not a very powerful system (70W RMS) but for a small room like mine (10'X12') it is adequate. However dont expect performance like Z5500...you only get what you pay for; but like I said, it gets the job done very well. :D

linux_ubuntu

iL6>Tushar
Hello,
I am planning to buy 5.1 speakers for my home PC setup. I had contemplated the Z 5500 but it is prooving to be too expensive. So hence i would like to buy something this is next in line (cheaper)

What I basically want is, speaker comparisons sort of like what Digit offers in their mags. Could you please tell me where I could find speaker comparison tests?

Also if that is not possible, then I have chosen
A- VS3251 rs 4,200
B- MMS460 rs 4,999

Could you please suggest me if these are good enough?

Thank you.
Go for Logitech
G51 Surround Sound Speaker System or

X-540

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
G51 has serious bass related issues.
X-540 is very good but can't beat Philips MMS460 which is loud and superb distribution of sound.

Better go for Altec Lansing. for 12k I think you can get FX5051.

OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
This is what *www.geek.com/altec-lansing-fx5051-51-speaker-system/
had to say about FX5051

"Given its small size and power per watt the FX5051 is worth considering, but when the Logitech Z-5300e, which is 280W and THX certified, can be had for less you had better look around before you buy."

And *reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-5300e/4505-3179_7-30993229.html
says this about Z-5300e

"Although the Z-5300e is an adequate low-end 5.1 speaker set, we'd recommend spending the additional $50 for Creative's $249 GigaWorks ProGamer G500 set instead."

Its getting more and more confusing...

royal

Padawan
This is what *www.geek.com/altec-lansing-fx5051-51-speaker-system/
had to say about FX5051

"Given its small size and power per watt the FX5051 is worth considering, but when the Logitech Z-5300e, which is 280W and THX certified, can be had for less you had better look around before you buy."

And *reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-5300e/4505-3179_7-30993229.html
says this about Z-5300e

"Although the Z-5300e is an adequate low-end 5.1 speaker set, we'd recommend spending the additional $50 for Creative's $249 GigaWorks ProGamer G500 set instead."

Its getting more and more confusing...

Z5300 not available now...even I was looking for one :(
And I have heard very good recommendation for G500 as well :p

Last edited:
OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
I have decided to get Z-5500 and have placed the order for it. Should get it by tomorrow. Will tell the price I get it for then.

But what is the best sound card that i should get to get the full performance? I have absolutely no idea about sound cards.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
I have decided to get Z-5500 and have placed the order for it. Should get it by tomorrow. Will tell the price I get it for then.

But what is the best sound card that i should get to get the full performance? I have absolutely no idea about sound cards.

Congrats.

The Creative X-Fi Elite seems to be a good sound-card for the z5500D which will do justice to the speakers :).

OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
But the question is do i really need a sound card? My friend says that the Z-5500 already has a built-in h/w decoder. So it doesn't need a sound card.
Or do i need a sound card to hear much in better quality?

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
But the question is do i really need a sound card? My friend says that the Z-5500 already has a built-in h/w decoder. So it doesn't need a sound card.
Or do i need a sound card to hear much in better quality?

You dont need a card but if you want to utilise the full potential of the speaker set than you will have to get a card :).

BUT it will work without a card.

OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
Thanks a lot to all of you. You guys have been a great help. I have decided to first use the onboard card and then upgrade later to a better sound card.
Tomorrow I'll get the speaker and provide a little bit of an update on the prices and stuff.

Okay here's the update. I got the Z-5500 speakers today for 19,900 from Vashi Plaza. And holy ****, the speakers are heavy man! It took two ppl to lift the entire speakers! It took me almost an hour to set it up, the good thing is that setting it up was very easy.

But unfortunately I am not very impressed with the quality of the speakers yet. It really doesn't feel like I bought a 20k speaker set. My bro has got a 35k Yamaha home theater and this one is no where near to it. I haven't installed a sound card and might not have calibrated the setting perfectly yet, so hoping the sound quality does improve after these.

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^True.

Every speaker set needs atleast 10hrs. of usage before they show their true potential.

And didnt I tell you that you will need a g00d sound-card if you want to unlock z5500D's true potential !!!:!:

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Okay here's the update. I got the Z-5500 speakers today for 19,900 from Vashi Plaza. And holy ****, the speakers are heavy man! It took two ppl to lift the entire speakers! It took me almost an hour to set it up, the good thing is that setting it up was very easy.

But unfortunately I am not very impressed with the quality of the speakers yet. It really doesn't feel like I bought a 20k speaker set. My bro has got a 35k Yamaha home theater and this one is no where near to it. I haven't installed a sound card and might not have calibrated the setting perfectly yet, so hoping the sound quality does improve after these.

for 20K you could have got a far better deal than these crappy z5500.....Logitech makes boom boxes not speakers
I could have given you loads of some heavy spk discuessions as well to make your decission easy but........ since now you have bought it, I would not ruin it for you.......set up your 5.1 HT and enjoy ......

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^don't scare him.

@@vivek, You need a Dolby/DTS decoding soundcard (and a DVD of Black Hawk Down) to find the full potential of Z5500.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
^^don't scare him.

@@vivek, You need a Dolby/DTS decoding soundcard (and a DVD of Black Hawk Down) to find the full potential of Z5500.

geee ok I wont.....get Saving Private Ryan as well on DTS...Awsome 5.1 channel seperation.....

OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
On the sound card issue I have decided on a few of them
1-X-Fi Xtreme Audio
2- Audigy 4
3- Asus xonar dx
4-SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Which is the best one according to the price and performance. Or is there another good sound card which you guys know and i might missed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom