Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Hello,

I have win XP SP2 but now i m planning to format my HDD. I wanted to know whether the SP2 for WINXp which is available on the M$ site has any authenticity verification for original windows or not?
If not....Gentoo...i m comin' ;)

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) will prevent computers running pirated XP from downloading anything (almost). u will need to validate ur windows. u will be provided with a key. the key is matched with ur XP's installation nmber. activex controls determine if windows. are pirated or not if it fails, u will not be able to download.

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
saurabh.sauron said:
Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) will prevent computers running pirated XP from downloading anything (almost). u will need to validate ur windows. u will be provided with a key. the key is matched with ur XP's installation nmber. activex controls determine if windows. are pirated or not if it fails, u will not be able to download.

does SP2 also run this test.....???

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
i think so. i never downloaded sp2 from the microsoft site.i had it loaded from a cd. the site ran the chk when i downloaded microsoft antispyware and wmp10. it might not run the chk when u download but but in some programs such as ie7, it runs validation during installation.

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
Ya the SP2 also runs the test. I wold suggest u to buy the OS. Or if u had got a 64 bit processor then download the free trial of x64 XP and use it. U will get all the advantages of using a leagal XP.

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Thx for help guys.
Just one more question: Is the SP2 currently available on the website a different version from what would be available on the CD (around 2yrs old). I mean to say that has the SP2 been updated in these 2 yrs?

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
it will give an error :- Validation failed. u will not be able to download that program. the best thing is to download it from a different source. microsoft is known for failure of validation of genuine windows and validation of pirated windows (it validated mine once...when i was running pirated windows).

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Well can i upgrade my windows to Media Center Edition?? (i mean by CD)
And as for validation, My frien is running XP pirated and he is able to pass the validation tests with a breeze :twisted:

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
u cannot upgrade ur computer to media center. microsoft doesnt ship the media center cd. u have to buy a media center computer to use xp media center. it is impossile to load media center on a non-media center pc.

ur friend is able to bypass the validation maybe coz that serial key has not been registered with microsoft.

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
@Saurabh.......
I don't know how but a friend has given me 2 CDs titled Windows Media Center !

And after checking out them via booting with the Cds, it was preparing Media Center Installation !

Vyasram

The pWnster
hey, i know a very simple technique to download from ms with pirated windows. I cant give u the instructions, But itz so damn easy that u'll laugh at microsoft for this bug. Itz somewhere in the "manage addons" in "programs" tab in "internet options" located in "control panel". Try it out and u'll find it so easily. Hope ms doesn't find this out

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
@saurabh.sauron:that installation will suceed.the first cd is the basic xp pro with sp2,while during the installation it will ask u for the second cd which contains the media center and tablet pc modules.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
saurabh.sauron said:
u have to buy a media center computer to use xp media center. it is impossile to load media center on a non-media center pc.

What exactly is a media center computer ? AFAIK it will install on any comp like any other OS. Its almost similar to Xp u have to choose between media center mode or normal Xp mode, the program resides in the system tray I think. the only prob one may get are of Drivers.

Media Center organises all ur multimedia content and presents in an organised manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom