Source Code Editor for Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Hi,

As you know I am a programmer, I need an source code editor which can highlight the code and with a Project system support which is most important.

For Example,

have you ever tried using Dev C++ from Bloddshed.net ?

If yes, you know what I mean. A project support system.

It lists all the source files in the project, etc.

AND IT MUST WORK WITH LINUX STANDALONE (no VMWare or Wine).

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You mean an IDE don't you? All IDEs do list project files. Surprised you haven't tried an IDE so far.

Well there's KDevelop (Several languages), Anjuta (C/C++) and Eclipse (A few languages).

For CLI, even vim has several plugins for an IDE mode!

Sykora

I see right through you.
Who said vim was only for cli? gVim has most of what you need by default, scripts at the site will give you the rest.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
i got a new such editor which can also insert codes of PHP, HTML, .htaccess, PHP+HTML, SQL, more..

for most common operations.

It is bluefish

*bluefish.openoffice.nl

^ the link above gives you the source code.

I installed from yum. Don't remember the repo.

Debian users and Gentoo users also can use apt and emerge respectively.

Anyways guys, thanks for your suggestions.

By the way,

isn't Eclipse and NetBeas for JAVA ?

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ You can use eclipse for C/C++/Java. In anjuta, you can build C/C++ and I think it supports source highlighting of other languages also. I have found it to be the best editor.

As for bluefish, you can easily get binaries. But also try NVU/Compozer for web development.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
aditya.shevade said:
^^ You can use eclipse for C/C++/Java. In anjuta, you can build C/C++ and I think it supports source highlighting of other languages also. I have found it to be the best editor.

As for bluefish, you can easily get binaries. But also try NVU/Compozer for web development.
Link ?

rayraven said:
Try Geany.
*geany.uvena.de/

I used it in zenwalk and its pretty good and lightweight IDE.

Regards,
ray

What languages does it support ?

if all you want is syntax highliting, the default text editor like KEdit, Gedit, etc will work.

Vim and Emacs are also excellent.

For IDE

Anjuta
KDevelop
NetBeans
Eclipse
MingW Developer Studio

For Widget Kit(to make GUI programs)

Java - forgot yaar, sorry

QT4
GTK2+
wxWidgets

I only named the popular ones, not all the ones out there. Linux has much more scope for programmers than windows, so if you try to run Dev-C++ via wine, you will be the biggest jackass here:p(My friend actually wanted to do it :lol:)

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
MetalheadGautham said:
if all you want is syntax highliting, the default text editor like KEdit, Gedit, etc will work.

Vim and Emacs are also excellent.

For IDE

Anjuta
KDevelop
NetBeans
Eclipse
MingW Developer Studio

For Widget Kit(to make GUI programs)

Java - forgot yaar, sorry

QT4
GTK2+
wxWidgets

I only named the popular ones, not all the ones out there. Linux has much more scope for programmers than windows, so if you try to run Dev-C++ via wine, you will be the biggest jackass here:p(My friend actually wanted to do it :lol:)
Dev C++ is there for Linux.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom