Sound problems !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hittheswitch

Self-Obsession
I'm using Mandrake Linux 10.1 distributed with DIGIT earlier this year.
The sound card that i have is FM801 and when i run the Mandrakelinux control center it shows the sound card as Xwave QS3000A [FM801].
Vendor- Fortmedia,Inc
Connection- Bus:pCI
Bus PCI #:1
Driver----
Module: snd-fm801

Alternate drivers:forte
The problem is i'm not getting sound in any of the player shipped with mandrake ( amaroK etc. ) only audacity is giving sound output.What about all the other tools Kaffeine,amaroK etc.
When i start KDE control centre under the sound menu when i click sound system, enable the sound hardware is not checked but still audacity is playing mp3 files properly.When i check the box enable sound hardware and click on Test,it plays some kind of music.After saving the settings still no use.Even audacity also gives error after enabling the sound hardware.
The error is as follows :
There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer.
You will not be able to play or record audio.
Error: Host error.
After writing this i realized that Kaffine is giving audio output,i don't know how but it is giving output.amaroK still isn't ( i've disabled the option enable sound hardware).amaroK has the following settings.Under the engine menu the sound system is GStreamer and output plugin is osssink ( No device and parameters mentioned ).
Secondly can you suggest me a player that can play DVD's and mpeg files ( if possible .dat files to,those copied from vcd's ).I also need the instruction to install the software that you mention for playback.I also would like to have a good mp3 player,one that is closer to Winamp in looks and usability.
I have the binaries of xine but i don't know how to compile them.

Can anyone gimme advice as to what to do?
Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom