Sound Problem with Nvdia onboard Sound (hda-intel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
I have installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my AMD machine. Its running on a Asus A8N-VM motherboard with a nforce chipset. The audio is NVidia MCP51 onboad sound (rev 2). On the ALSA docs page the driver is given as intel8x0. However when i compile alsa with intel8x0 the sound fails completely. When i compile it using the hda-intel driver sound only play through the right front right rear and center channels. I have 5.1 speakers where the front jack is in the normal green port. The other two(center/woofer and rear ) in the line in and mic jack resp. On windows Sound Max configures these port to work as a 6ch sound. On linux all the channels are unmuted and full. Also when i am playing a track on Banshee / Rythmbox and tweak with aslamixer - sound dies down and dosent work untill reboot. All system sounds also go ( no the channels are still unumuted and full )

Ubuntu has worked like a charm before and i wish to continue using it, however I love listening to music and this is a major obstacle. Please help me out. I have tried reinstalling alsa(latest drivers) also.

src2206

In the zone
Install Automatix and Envy, (search google for the download links). The first one will install all the necessary codecs and the second one is a custom made script to configure nVidia and ATI drivers. If this does not solve your trouble please post here. :)

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Envy is for Nvidia Video drivers and yea automatix is known to give the creepy probs. Okay the Audio Drivers is Analog Devices AD198a or Nvidia MCP51 , i dont really know. Anyways it dosent really matter becuase both use the intel8x0 alsa module. When i complie alsa with the intel8x0 module the sound card dosent get detected. So i recompiled , this time with no specefic card and sound worked . I set channel mode to 6ch in alsamixer . But now sound only plays from right rear, right front and center.
left channel seems negligible ( low crackling audio can be heard ) .
I ran
Code:
speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6
and sound played from each speaker individually correctly identified. Dunno whats going on ??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom