sound not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjali

Broken In
Hi. I recently installed Fedora Core 2 on my Dell Dimension 4550 desktop computer. The problem that I am having is that I cannot get the sound to work because I cannot seem to properly get the sound card drivers installed. I have found the following link:
*support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/...leid=R81351&sid=&os=Windows_NT&searchtype=age

I downloaded this package and upgraded to the version of DKMS inlcluded with this package. But when I try to install the i810_audio RPM by typing "rpm -ivh i810_audio-2.4.21p-4dkms.noarch.rpm" at a command prompt, I get the following error:
error: Failed dependencies:
kernel-source is needed by i810_audio-2.4.21p-4dkms

I would really appreciate if someone can please point me to the correct sound card driver for my computer

OP
A

Anjali

Broken In
Some more information about my sound card:
Vendor: Intel Corp.
Model: 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Audio Controller
Module: snd-intel8x0

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
You need to install the kernel-source rpm from your distrobution cdroms. The rpm you downloaded obviously compiles a module for your system and needs the kernel source to be installed in order to do this.

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
The kernel sources should be on your installation CDs
There is a program in the "start" menu that should allow you to install them

that already may be installed

(not to insult you(done same thing myself))
Did you turn the volume up??

OP
A

Anjali

Broken In
What exactly is the name of kernal-source rpm that you are talking about and what is it exactly? Also how should I check if it is already installed or it? In my Fedora Distro CD #1 (under RPMS directory), I have the following two kernel rpms:
kernel-2.6.5-1.358.i586.rpm
kernel-2.6.5-1.358.i686.rpm

And yes I have checked the volume of my speakers.

OP
A

Anjali

Broken In
Ok I have found kernel-source rpm, but the problem is that when I try to install this rpm, it wants me to install 3 other rpms. Then when I try to install those rpms, it tells me to install 6 more rpms... There *must* be some better way of going about installing the kernel-source rpm. Please let me know. Thanks.

T

TimothyMcVeigh

Anjali
wow nice to see you back after such a long gap.

That is linux dreaded LDH - library dependency hell but.

Most probably i686.

Try getting into text-mode with those Ctrl + Alt + Fn (n = 1, 2 , ....6).
You will see at the beginning the architecture whether it's i686 or i586.

Get back in your GUI with Ctrl + Alt + F7 after you are done.
It's been a while on linux, try to confirm this with someone who knows it right although I am pretty much sure of it.
It really feels great helping someone.

deleted_empathy

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
You say you have Fedora Core 2 (with 2.6 kernel), but the Dell link you give in your question says:

- Deprecates the use of the ALSA project to provide audio support. Will work with all 2.4-based kernels greater than 2.4.21, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and Fedora Core 1.

Fixes an issue on Fedora Core 1 where the module would not build correctly.-

Maybe you are now trying to get a 2.4 kernel driver to work on a 2.6 kernel.

Searching the web with 82801DB+(ICH4)+AC'97+fedora seems to indicate that your soundcard should work "straight off" on FC2.

T

TimothyMcVeigh

Wait...
that is the kernel....
one must be already installed.
What you need is kernel-source-2.6.5-1.358.i386.rpm or something from your installation cd/dvd.

Listen to #/bin/sh. He seems right. Most of the known hardwares usually work off the box itself. Maybe you have messed something up.

For recompiling your kernel, get any tutorial from the web-site or if it doesn't help you, post here. I will do even that. I don't think you really need to do all these though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom