SOS:MULTIPLE MESS:no search page, sys rest pag, kasprsky,etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
guys, looks like im in deep shit. a real multiple screw-up !

i use p4, cpu 2 ghz, 128MB RAM, winxp sp1.

some days back i had installed kaspersky anti-virus from digit may cd successfully.
today morning i installed autopatcher successfully.
some time during the day, i found that my pc did not shutdown, but restarted. then on restart from the logon screen ven i clicked shutdown, it shut down.

so i went to add/remove programs to uninstall kaspersky.
was unable to do so. the dialog box appeared and just asked about removing 'report files' and 'licence keys'. on clicking 'yes' to all, it said 'successfully deinstalled'. but the full kaspersky folder continued to stay there ! only a few files appeared to have been deleted. i met with the same result from the start menu folders and from 'absolute installer' ! it just does not get uninstalled !!

then i tried deleting all the kaspersky files, knowing that i could always clean up the registry with a registry cleaner. found that i was unable to delete one file 'shellex.dll', as it was locked. so i went to microsoft antispyware>tools > advanced tools > system explorer > system > shell > executive hooks. there i found one hook with an 'unknown' remark. thinking this cud b the one i clicked on the option 'block this shell executive hook' !

NOW HERES THE BEST PART ! ven i click on 'search' from the 'start menu', i find that my SEARCH has no menu/doggy ! its just a blank page ! so i decided to 'system restore'. this page opens, but its also just blank white (my system restore is always ON).

So 3 problems :
1) get back my search page with the doggy and the system restore page.
2) how to uninstall kaspersky
3) how to get my pc to shutdown.

i know i messed up real good. so u cats pls help me out fast !

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Download HijackThis and unzip it to dedicated folder (like C:\HijackThisFolder\hijackthis.exe).

read more about hijackthis here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15729

Then post your hijackthis log file.

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
after several trial & error methods, which took over 2 hours, late last night, i succeeded in finally uninstalling kaspersky thru super utilities' uninstall ONLY !

somehow this just solved all the above-mentioned three problems ! thanx anyways, guys ! :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom