Sort in MS - Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
How do you sort dates

Suppose I want all the entries in my file after the 1st january 2005 to be shown. How is this done.

I have selected this format for entering the date 1-jan-05

Thanks

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
PLEASE save any data before performing any of the below.

Excel has a weird way of sorting things when the formats vary. To explain further Consider the below.

Goto a new worksheet and type 1/1/05 in any cell and youll find that it should go to the right hand side of the cell or is right alligned. NOw go to a different cell and then try entering '1/1/05 and youll see that it remains on the left hand side of the cell by default. This is because Microsoft Excel stores dates as numbers and hence the first date you entered was in the correct format you needed to sort them correctly based on their aqctual date. However if your dates are alligned on the left as when you typed in '1/1/05 (provided you did NOT manually allign them) then you wont be able to sort them correctly. The only way to correct the formats in this case would be to go to an empty cell and type in the number 1 . Select the cell and then click on Copy and then select the dates that wont sort correctly and then go to Edit > Paste Special and select Multiply which is under the Operation section. This should turn the dates into numbers. You can then select these numbers and goto Format Cells and then select the date format you want and then do the above sort operation.

I think my answer might be confusing or incorrect so you might want to check with others as well .

Hope this helps.

PS If you need further help send me the file to exx_2000[at]yahoo.com and Ill check it out and send it back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom