Soooo Many Applications in Open Suse 10.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hailgautam

Youngling
I see that there are 3-4 applications installed for each task. I tried uninstalling some applications that I thought would not be necessary for me but it shows a scary looking message that says the applications that i wan't to uninstall has missing dependencies.

I will use the system as a desktop for home use. Can someone please tell me how to know what applications to uninstall without getting scared of the warning message. As of now I have uninstalled few games only :D

Thnax

eddie

El mooooo
Is there any specific reason why you want to uninstall these applications? As far as I have experienced, openSUSE 10.2 brings a highly organized menu in form of kickoff and you should not be facing much problem with finding what you want. IMHO you should keep these applications installed because uninstalling them can break some other applications.

One thing you can do is that if you have installed both GNOME & KDE then uninstall one of the desktops and its applications. This will give you more compact install with few confusions.

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
I had uninstalled the GNOME but not much difference. I don't like applications on my system about which I don't know what they do. Plus there 4 applications for viewing PDF files alone, wonder do I need it.

But I think i will leave the question for some time till I am more comfortable with SuSE 10.2

PS: I re-installed the GNOME :D

freebird

Debian Rocks!
I suggest you try ubuntu or any apt/dpkg distros like debian-they offer better pkg management.only needed stuff get installed;not like suse.

eddie

El mooooo
Use Linux for sometime. Soon you will know which applications you need and which applications depend on which. Once you know all that you will have enough knowledge to even do an expert install of openSUSE and not install any application that you don't need :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom