SONY or LITE-ON

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandal_keta

Broken In
guys! i am planning to change my optical drive...from SAMSUNG DVD RW....to SONY or LITE-ON..but i am confused which is better...
which would u guys choose if u were me...some say LITE ON is great and some say nothing is better than SONY...i dnt know whom should i listen..plz help me and give me suggesstion..which one is better and why!!

waiting for u reply!!
chandal

xtremedia

Broken In
some practical suggestions :

though lite-on has solid performance i have seen many of friends drives developing TRAY problem. i.e it operation is not smooth after few months of usage and begins to get stuck.

Similar problem with Samsung(this i have experienced personally with samsung cd-drives)

may be now the situation has changed.

but iwould definitely say i havnt found such problems with my sony drives.
I am using 20X DVD-RW SONY DRU-840A drive and it provides solid performance. You can look at its reviews which shows it as one of the fastest drives.

Code:
[/URL][URL]*www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=308[/URL]

though i must tell u i had a small software issue related to DMA setting but now i have resolved it and the drive works blazingly fast.

Last edited:

New

Padawan
I am using Sony DRU-190 for past 6 months and I must say it's not up to mark.I recommand Lite-on.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Sony drives, especially the ones with the NEC/Optiarc lens, is NOT upto the mark. Several sony users have changed their drives because they cant read DVD-R, even the ones written by the same drive. Including me. Go for liteon.

^^ all sony drives suggested above, and all sony D-series have the nec/optiarc lens.

bluepearl

troubleshooter
Using LiteOn for 6 months now
Good performance, no issues !!

Sony has issues reading cheap optical media like mp3 cds or dvds

jal_desai

In the zone
say no SONY Optical drives... Go for lite-on.... sony has the tendency to create problems after a year or so...

acewin

Point Blanc
any product can get into problems, but its the ratio of getting into problem and support of getting them back on line.
and as desi said pathetic support for lite-on,
more of people will say sony is better than liteon.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I have Liteon LH-20A1P for 6 months, no problems so far.
Also the newer Samsung drives do not develop tray problems, my friend has one running without any hitch. :)

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
samsung drives are better i think..their customer support is good.liteon drives are not bad but support isnt good at all..opti arc drives dont have a sturdy tray..i have that drive and its tray is poor quality.though never got any problem with recognising cds,dvds etc..and tray will also work in a hazard proof environment,like mine.
i'd still advice Samsung.
the newer models by LG are also good.

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
Currently I am Using Sony But It Has Encrypted A Problem Exactly After A Year

My Reading Media Has Been Failed.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Im using Lite-on and the drive makes a lot of noise and the tray movement isn't smooth. This may not be the case with all Lite-on drives, but i think its better if you go with Sony.:)

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
go for anything except sony.i am very bad time with those drives.all the probs mentioned above with sony are true to my knowledge.mine stopped working as soon as i lost warranty.

if you get tray problems ,you can still use it to read or write but what if tray moves easily and dvd's cant be read or written?! go for anything except sony.

damnthenet

Journeyman
I was also a fan of Sony, but not anymore. My sony DRU - 170C didn't read many media Luckily I had a month before warranty ended and so replaced it. And when I had gone for replacement, there were so many to replace their sony drives.
Not sure if the replacement will work fine in the long run though...

You can go for Liteon

I have Liteon LH-20A1P for 6 months, no problems so far.
Also the newer Samsung drives do not develop tray problems, my friend has one running without any hitch. :)

I too have the same drive.....but problem is ....not reading Digit Dvds...?...
Do you know where is Lite-on Service Center in Delhi ?

praka123

left this forum longback
samsung is currently the best DVD drives.go for one.
Sony/Lite-on -lot of problems many rma's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom