Sony Handycam MiniDV USB Capturing in Fedora Core 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
So today my friend bring my home his Sony Handycam DCR HC42E MiniDV asking me to grab the movie he shot. First step ?
I plugged the USB cable (I've no firewire or TVTuner Card).
Now what? which application?
I started Kino and selected the capture tab.
nothing happens. except fo one message
Warning: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write /dev/raw1394!

So i decided to try the command line tool, ffmpeg.
Error: could not find Video grab device.

So what to do next ? any idea ?

NB: the LCD display says nothing while it is connected to the USB. He told me that it usually displays a message when it is connected to usb.

praka123

left this forum longback
May be some particular tools exist for video capture try it in dag.wieers.com
or atrpms.net.also heard something like Cinerella *heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
best of Lux

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Cinelerra does not support video capture via usb. Neither does LiVES and Kino.i'll need a firewire card or so. Do you know any other app. that can grab video via usb ?

gauravnawani

Journeyman
desertwind said:
Warning: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write /dev/raw1394!

You need the raw1394 (rpm or source) "kernel module" to be installed first. Download it from below, its also available in Fedora4 CD/DVD.

*sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2514&package_id=2487

After installation it should make an raw 1394 device under /dev if it does then you can start capturing if not then hunt the net for problem ;)

what is kernel module ?? >> *www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
but then it is again firewire connection. me too still searching an app that'll grab via usb.

one thing tho, my samsung dp103i supports video grabbing in firewire mode only (recorded on mini-dv tape). but it supports usb video streaming (meaning it can be used as webcam). i wanna capture in that streaming mode. still searching.....

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
gauravnawani said:
You need the raw1394 (rpm or source) "kernel module" to be installed first. Download it from below, its also available in Fedora4 CD/DVD.

*sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2514&package_id=2487

After installation it should make an raw 1394 device under /dev if it does then you can start capturing if not then hunt the net for problem ;)

what is kernel module ?? >> *www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/

raw1394 was already installed. And i think it is related to firewire and has nothing to do with usb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom