Sony Firmware update questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey guyz plz help me update the firmware for my SONY DRU-720A DVD-RW drive ... i downloaded the firmware from

*sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/downloads

i checked the instructions for the update and i need help in the following,

A. the instructions say "Before executing firmware update, uninstall any packet writing software, such as [DLA], [DirectCD], [B's CLiP] etc, from the PC." ..... i am having nero, alcohol 120%, daemon tools, avi2dvd installed . are these packet writing softwares ? plz provide more info on packet writing softwares and their examples.

B. the instructions ask me to disable [DMA setting] in Windows before executing firmware update ...... how i do this ?

C. finally if something goes wrong in this whole process will i be able to recover my drive or not ?

plz provide the requested info. thanx guyz. any other suggestions/tips are welcome.

and hey one more question , what is the official sony website for indian users from where we can download firmware updates and also register our products ?

and ya i am posting this question here again coz i have not got any reply on the firmware sticky. i hope i am allowed to do this :?:

shyam911

Journeyman
1. Well If you have Nero INCD installed then uninstall it coz that's a packet writing SW. daemon tools and avi2dvd are ok.

2. TO Disable DMA click run and type DevMgmt.msc this will bring up the device manager
now under the category "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" select the controller that handles your DVD Rom (primary or secondary) now right click and choose properties and under "Advanced Settings" you can see Transfer Mode -> Change it to "PIO Only" and you are done.

And finally "C". If something goes wrong.....well i dunno some say you can recover and some say you cant.

theraven

Technomancer
yes recovering can be done... in 2 cases
for one case you'll need another optical drive as wel
read the "upgrading firmware" tut in the tutorials section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom