Sony Ericsson W950

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
Sony Ericsson announces major addition to its family of Walkman phones. The W950 is an ultra-slim, ultra-stylish, UMTS-enabled device with 4 GB of onboard storage complete with touch screen for simple navigation through music genres, playlists, individual songs or music albums.

More than music phone, broadband-fast email and Web browsing plus a suite of high performance entertainment applications add to its capabilities. This announcement also demonstrates the flexibility of the Symbian OS 9.1 and UIQ 3.0 platform to create a consumer focused offering as well as business.

The W950's design will turn the heads of the most avid style aficionados. Its thin, sleek and compact form is finished in Mystic Purple, fingerprint-proof matt with orange accents. The purity of its design is strengthened by the keypad being flush with the surface, and orange backlighting that brings the music keys to life in a stunning, practical way. The music player within the W950 has the functionality and sound quality of an equivalent standalone device. Its 4 GB storage can take up to 4,000 songs (MP3, AAC, AAC+, E-AAC+, WAV and M4A) and the sound quality, delivered on high quality headphones, makes listening to music a real pleasure. A new graphic-rich interface on the Walkmanplayer makes it easy to navigate around the music library by song, artist or playlist and now it's possible to search visually by browsing through album covers using the stylus and touch screen. The W950 has all the benefits of a combined phone and music player, enabling multitasking between listening to music, SMS texting, emailing and browsing the Internet (Opera 8.0 web browser). It offers graphical equalizer and Mega Bass functions as well as FM radio with RDS. Connectivity options include USB 2.0 Mass storage High speed (480 Mbps) and Bluetooth 1.2.

Beyond music, the W950 is a complete mobile entertainment centre that delivers great speed and exceptional quality sound and vision. Users can now enjoy the complete spectrum of mobile multimedia applications, from web browsing, push email and video streaming to 3D gaming and store-and-share of media files. Besides music, 4 GB is enough storage for a wealth of photos, videos or email attachments in the phone. Stereo sound through wireless headphones is now possible as the W950 support Bluetooth streaming in stereo. The Bluetooth Stereo Headset HBH-DS970 also announced today and available as an accessory delivers high quality stereo sound through stylish, comfortable headphones.

W950 is the 3rd Sony Ericsson phone based on the new Symbian v9.1 and UIQ 3.0 platform. The phone weighs 112 grams and its dimensions are 106 x 54 x 15 mm. It starts shipping during Q3 2006.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
It seems like Sony left out a camera for this phone. It looks good and has some great features but I think the Nokia N91 still trumps this one. The N91 has a 2MP camera as well as WLAN capabilities. SE should start including WLAN with its music phones - it would allow for wireless download of music straight to your phone as well as better internet browsing without having to rely on 3G networks.

G

gxsaurav

i m more interested in K610i, slimmer then K750i, & still has all the good things like memory stick micro support & 2MP camera, & it's 3G

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
But I think .. We should have more phones in high end .. without camera

Bcoz If we have Digi cam .. why do we need the Cam in phone.. which can never be as good as dedicated DigiCam

So, .. Its goin to be a good start ..

I agree Nemesis, that sony must include .. WLAN & 3G more to compete.

Edit: correction .. I was absent minded .. he he

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Hehe that's all right. The reason I prefer to have cameras on phones is that you don't always carry around your camera but you will most probably have your cell phone on you wherever you go. It's good when you want to take an image on the spot and don't have your camera on. It's also something you can play around with if you are bored - especially with phones that let you carry out basic image editing. :)

If the exclusion of a camera is going to reduce prices, then I guess it creates a new market segment and some people will like that. But I wonder why SE is claiming 4000 songs in 4GB. If you fit it that many songs, you will probably have to use 48kbps bitrate or something close to it. It will sound pathetic. I think companies advertizing the number of songs their device can hold should tell the truth and post a value with 96kbps or 128kbps taken as the average bitrate. Their numbers are otherwise misleading.

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
@Nemesis

Firstly, .. Its true that having a Cam in the phone is always handy .. but the problem is .. on the 10K upwards all the phones have cam .. and Virtually no-phone in the non-cam category.
And Camera in phones is not as such that .. you can substitute the DigiCam .. that what I feel is missing ..
Having a Cam is a good thing .. but not havin a single phone without it is strange.
any phone you choose .. W800i, W550i .. 7610, 6630, new 3250 .. I mean all phones have to have a Cam that is what I feel goin wrong.

Nemesis said:
If the exclusion of a camera is going to reduce prices, then I guess it creates a new market segment and some people will like that.
Ditto .. here

Nemesis said:
But I wonder why SE is claiming 4000 songs in 4GB. If you fit it that many songs, you will probably have to use 48kbps bitrate or something close to it. It will sound pathetic. I think companies advertizing the number of songs their device can hold should tell the truth and post a value with 96kbps or 128kbps taken as the average bitrate. Their numbers are otherwise misleading.
I think .. the no. they give .. relates to Ogg/ MP4/ACC .. not MP3.
Ogg gives best sound in mobile even at 64kbps .. it saves space .. thats why its getting popular these days.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I somehow forgot to see that no source was posted here. Thanks to the now infamous thread in the general section where Captain Crime used this thread as an example where no action was taken, I'll take action right now.

@dhan_shh: I'll give you a day or so to post the original source of this news article. From my Google searches, I see that the material is probably from the SE Press Release but you probably modified it to make it look original. If you don't post the source or if someone else posts it before you do, then I'm afraid I'll have to put you on warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom