SONY DVD driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

anarchy0x

In the zone
nothing happens when i click on my dvd driver .. it shows that i dont hav a DVD in it although i do have a DVD in it .. & when i try ejecting it , nothing happens even when i manually press the eject button..1 thing more it shows "DVD RAM drive" I am sure it was something else before like 'SONY DVD RW DW GW102A' .. thats wat i see in the device manager
I have faced this problem before & it would ressolve by itself on reboot but now its persisting
thanks in advance

shantanu

Technomancer
YOU HAVE A DVD RW OR COMBO DVD RW DWG120A is a OEM SONY DUAL LAYER DVD-RW if you are having this problem check your leads and jumfer settings,

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
oh mines a DVD writer so i can watch n burn cds & DVDs .. thats called combo right??
well i just hav 1 DVD writer thats it .. no other writer.. if thats wat u wanted 2 ask..
& how d i check my leads and jumfer settings??

shantanu

Technomancer
NO THATS DVD-RW NOT A COMBO,, COMBO CAN ONLY READ DVD's NOT WRITE THEM,

OPEN UP YOUR CABINET AND SEE YOUR DRIVES lead and power connector which joins in the back of your drive,,

now see you drives back it should have a jumfer attached to it a small platic tip like structure which will be joining two pins in three pins set. it will be on the first pin set check it.

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
thanks for that but please tell me how to fix this problem!

Last edited:
OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
i am sorry .. i didnt get that .. can u b a little more precise pal? i see two things going in the back of my DVD writer .. 1 what if i am not wrong is called a databus (from motherboard) n another switch/plug (from the powersupply)

shantanu

Technomancer
yeah you are correct!!!!

try pulling them out and plugging in again and do that one by one > means first the power cord and then the data cable.

After that take out the data cable from MOBO and insert it again.

IF you have another cable like that then try changing it.

NOW look deeply > You will find 2 x 3 pin sets like this : : : just on the right side of where you plugged the data cable on mobo.. see if any pins are shorted with a plastic jumfer like this > can be in three different positions

1> : - : [- is your shorted jumfer]
2> - : :
3> : : -

NOW IF YOU have a single drive then it should be a master so the third one is correct.

if two drives then second one is second one is correct.

IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE THAT NO JUMFER ARE SHORTED THERE

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
i should disable my DVD writer before i do that right??
or u want me to turn my pc off completely?? i guess if i m taking out the data cable from the MOBO i ll hav to turn the whole pc off.. i ll try this tomm n let u know but thanks for posting

shantanu

Technomancer
YEAH SURELY TURN OFF YOUR PC AND WAIT FOR 16 sec. dop that any kind of charge is gone and then open your cabinet and then do that

Pathik

Google Bot
turn off ur pc and reinsert ur power n data cable.. Btw these 2 cables u ll see ur jumper ..check if its in sec.master mode

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
yes it is .. this is wat the last thing i saw in BIOS

Pata primary master : samsung SV0411N
Pata secondary slave: SV0402H
Para secondat master: sony dvd rw G120A

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
get your DRIVE CHEKED AT SERVICE CENTER!!! THEY WILL CHARGE YOU 200 bucks if you are out off warranty

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
yea i am going to lamington tommorow for some other work .. does any1 here know where the sony service center for DVD writers is? n the writer is out of warranty

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
These Problems happened to me many times before with my SONY drive whenever I tried messing up with some themes for XP. The problems where CD not ejecting, Autoplay not running and more...There is absolutely no problem with your Drive. Simply install Windows XP again, and I am sure, it will be all right.;)

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
installing XP will take me like 30 mins & then i ll hav to install many programs again!! any other way?? can't i just install some drivers?

Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Ok, Try this.
Goto control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager
Select your drive and Uninstall it.

Now restart your system. Windows will detect the drive and will install necessary drivers. Finally goto Control Panel->Administrative tools->Computer Management->Disk Management.
Right click on your drive and Change the drive letter to something else.:)

Note: Changing the drive letter may make some games not work...

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
thanks but i already tried the above step on my own but didnt change the name of the drive.. will try that soon

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
If all the methods fail, go for installing Windows again. Soon after installing Windows and all the necessary drivers and updates, backup C: drive using Acronis true image or R-Drive image. The next time you have to install Windows it will take only 5 minutes to restore from backup. You can save your time....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom