Some Xubuntu queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renny

Padawan
Right now I've installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my PC,

Its too slow, so I was thinking of switching to Xubuntu,

1. What will I not be able to do on Xubuntu which I can do on Ubuntu?

2. Can I have screenlets, desklets, Icon themes, themes etc. on Xubuntu just like in Ubuntu?

3. Can I customise Login screens, Boot splashes etc. on Xubuntu just like in Ubuntu?

And in the Xubuntu site I found 2 ISO versions, one "desktop version" and the other "alternate version,
what is the difference b\w the two?

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Everything you do on Ubuntu can be done on Xubuntu too.The only difference being Xubuntu uses Xfce as desktop manager while Ubuntu uses GNMOE, Kubuntu uses KDE etc..Go with desktop version

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
The alternate ISO does not include a live version of the selected distro. Its to be used only to install via the non-gui method. For places where live cd fails to boot mostly.

A

anarchist

1. Xubuntu and ubuntu have same repositories, so same applications on both versions. default package selection is slightly different, which you can always change later.
2. you can have them, but if you want to use them better stick to ubuntu. xubuntu is xfce based desktop environment, intended for users who want clean and efficient system.
3. desktop version is live CD, form which you can install (graphical installer) or run without installing, it requires more RAM (>192MB). alternate cd is only for installation (text based installer), it requires lesser RAM.
btw what is your system configuration?

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
P3 700MHz, 256MB RAM, Intel 810 Chipset, 15" CRT, PS/2 Mouse, AT Keyboard, LG GSA-H12N.

I'm currently downloading Live version of Xubuntu.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
^^ I had some bad experience running Xubuntu on my friend's system with almost same configuration as yours. Lets see whether it works on your system or not :D

praka123

left this forum longback
with your configuration,archlinux is a good option,but will be tough for new comers.
else use zenwalk linux(xfce default) and may be,better and lean than xubuntu :)

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Just installed Xubuntu 7.10,

1. When I try to run the terminal the system just logs-off from my account, help needed here.

2. How do I disable indexing and how do I speed up my system(Disabling unecessary stuff)?

3. Check out this pic, do I have root privilages and should I disable "Administer the system"?
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.3c82db2636.png

4. And how do I include the "Take Screenshots" option in the "Accessories" menu?

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Just installed Xubuntu 7.10,
1. When I try to run the terminal the system just logs-off from my account, help needed here.

This problem seems to be abug when using the i810 driver, it can be solved by changing colour depth to 16 bit.

Now plz help with other problems,

And I have 3 accounts on my PC excluding root, how do I enable automatic login for only one of them?

A

anarchist

for automatic login
applications>>settings>>login window>>security

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
1. How do I disable indexing and how do I speed up my system(Disabling unecessary stuff)?

2. Check out this pic, do I have root privilages and should I disable "Administer the system"?
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?3c82db2636.png

praka123

left this forum longback
1.do u have beagled installed?purge it via synapitc,also remove slocate/locate and install "preload" from synaptic.
2.its OK fine.Ubuntu assumes first user as the administrator of the system.hence....

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Hense what? I should remove the tick from "Administer the system"?

And I have 3 users excluding root, if I enable Automatic login for one of them the system just logs into that account without even displaying the Login screen,

And how can I speed up Xubuntu?

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
@shady,

I already did as suggested by praka, I was wondering if there are any other ways of making things faster, I'm not blind dude I can read:rolleyes:, and does a "repeated query" hurt your eyes so much:rolleyes:, well if it does I think you know what you must do:rolleyes:, dont look at it!!

@qwerty,

What I mean is I want "Auto Login" for only ONE account, not for all of them,
meaning I want the User list to be displayed at startup and there when I click on the user who has auto login enabledthat user should automatically login,
But the other users must enter their passwords,
Hope your're not confused:rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom