Some questions in (suse and) linux...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My system specs first:
AMD 64 3000+, running suse 9.1 pro (32 bit) dualboot with winxp., 512 ram.

here are the ques on my mind:

1) what are users,owners groups in linux? the permissions are stated in 3 sets :which are for what?

2) what does mounting actually mean? when i point my mouse to the cdrecorder icon in the "devices" window, it says unmounted cd writer, but i can still read from it!(when i click on it)
PS: my cd drive runs quite slowly in linux (compared to windows reading time, writing is ok). it takes quite some time to read a cd. any ideas? i have turned dma on. should i try udma or what? i have a sony cdwriter.

3) the open office version included in suse 9.1 seems to have some problems on my comp....when i write a doc in the word processor and print it out immediately w/o saving it, it does it well, but after i save it when i try to print it out, it prints the bold characters as italicised.anyone else with this problem? pdf files are printed well using acrobat. my printer is canon bjc2100sp(no specific drivers, but some other one works well)

4) how can i play cdaudio in xmms?

thats it, for now.........(may undergo some editing to add ques later..)

5) can i install fedora off a dvd image on my hard drive? like suse or red hat?

6) is there a "daemon tools" for linux to load and read from cd images?

thanx.

nixcraft

Journeyman
Someone doing "real work" with the computer is user.

Owner who owns files and directories

Groups include users. Groups created to so that security and other policies can be applied. All users belong to one or more groups Just as each file has a specific owner, each file belongs to a particular group as well.

Following command will help you to get list of groups
less /etc/groups
id
users

All users properties such as username, home directory, UID, PGID etc stored in passwd file:
less /etc/passwd

Mounting means attaching device (floppy, cd/dvd) to file system, typically in directory in order to group of files in a file system structure accessible to a user or user group.
In windows disks known by C: or A: but in all UNIX including BSD/Linux we use mounting a process which attach device to directory. Mounts may be local or remote. A local mount connects disc drives on one machine so that they behave as one logical system. A remote mount uses NFS.

I don’t think so you should get any problem in Linux to read or write speed. DMA could be an issue. Some CDWriter know to have problem. Best way is to contact your manufacture to see if they got optimized driver for it.

I hope so your sound cable is connected to CDROM/RW. Or try to get latest M3/Media player : from *www.xmms.org/download.php and DVD Player - xine from : *xinehq.de/index.php/releases#binaries

You can do Hard disk based installation. Look for frontpage of this site here is link *thinkdigit.com/howto.html?PHPSESSID=29156b742993bb65cda2ddb3d60d826b

You can use mount –o loop to mount ISO images under linux see url *www.cyberciti.biz/nixcraft/vivek/blogger/2004/04/extracting-particular-file-from-linux.html

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom