Some Questions About UBUNTU

Status
Not open for further replies.

readermaniax

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey i am a New comer to the world of LINUX....i dont know anyhting about it....i am having some Questions:-

===============================================================================================

1>>How will i install UBUNTU 5.10 from Install cd which i Hav.. i am currently having windows XP PRO with 40GB Hard disk and 2 patitions of equal Size ie:20 gb each C:/ and D:/ ......in C:/ i have installed my windows and D:/ has 8Gb left ..I WANT TO KEEP MY WINDOWS XP ALSO AND I DONT WANT TO REMOVE ANYTHING ON MY D:/

===============================================================================================

2>>Will i be able to run software like Yahoo messenger....Microsoft word and others.... on Ubuntu

3>>Will i be able to play GAmes like NFSMW...DOOM3 ETC...how? ..

4>>when will download something from sites like download.com will i be able to use them if they dont have the option for "download for Ubuntu" and i download the software for Windows...If no ...then how will i be able to run these programmes?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
readermaniax said:
Hey i am a New comer to the world of LINUX....i dont know anyhting about it....i am having some Questions:-
Welcome to linux dude.

readermaniax said:
1>>How will i install UBUNTU 5.10 from Install cd which i Hav.. i am currently having windows XP PRO with 40GB Hard disk and 2 patitions of equal Size ie:20 gb each C:/ and D:/ ......in C:/ i have installed my windows and D:/ has 8Gb left ..I WANT TO KEEP MY WINDOWS XP ALSO AND I DONT WANT TO REMOVE ANYTHING ON MY D:/
You will have to resize the D: by partitioning the disk manually. Hopefully the partition is FAT32. I am not sure whether you will be able to resize NTFS partition. But, before resizing do backup D: as data loss can occur due to errors.

readermaniax said:
2>>Will i be able to run software like Yahoo messenger....Microsoft word and others.... on Ubuntu
Yahoo does have a version of yahoo messenger for linux too. Though it doesn't offer the same functionality as it does on windows version. You can always use gaim contained in Ubutu.

readermaniax said:
3>>Will i be able to play GAmes like NFSMW...DOOM3 ETC...how? ..
There are games for linux too but you'd better leave windows games to be played on windows they perform better there. You can run windows executables on linux using wine. But, I'd recommend booting back to windows for running softwares made for windows.

readermaniax said:
4>>when will download something from sites like download.com will i be able to use them if they dont have the option for "download for Ubuntu" and i download the software for Windows...If no ...then how will i be able to run these programmes?
You might need to use those sites for downloads. you can use synaptic package manager provided in Ubuntu for downloading all the softwares you need or you can use apt-get command at the terminal to download and install softwares. Ubuntu being a debian based distro has a huge repository of 10,000+ softwares. There are many alternative softwares to what you use in windows.

SInce you're new to linux I'd recommend you to first try out a live cd if you already haven't. You can use Ubuntu live cd if you ordered the cd's from Canonical or if you're downloading it through the net you can download and try out knoppix. Knoppix is IMO, the best live cd out there.
Also, have a look at Ubuntu Guide

OP
R

readermaniax

Ambassador of Buzz
1>>how do i resize that partition...i have fat 32

3>>but still will i be able to play games like doom3 on ubuntu...

4>>i didnt got anything

mehulved

I am a bit unsure of the first question myself as I haven't done it myself, so I would rather wait for others to answer.
There are games available for Linux too. You can have a look here*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35216&highlight=games.
Reguarding your last query. In debian based distros like Ubuntu, you can use a software called synaptic to download additional softwares. Synaptic gives a list of all softwares available as deb packages, which is the native format of debian. If a software isn't available, then you can download its source from net and compile using gcc compiler. Anyway don't worry about it for the time being. Have a look at a live cd first and get yourself familiar with linux first then these things will come easy enough. You don't need to go to download.com of such sites for getting the softwares, sites like sourceforge have an extensive list of software for linux platform.
And before going for installation, or for that matter using a live cd, first thing you should do is know what type of network connection you're using, your IP address, DNS, Gateway. Once you're connected to the net help will be easier to find.

mehulved

Just go to BIOS and change the order of boot device and make cd drive as the first boot device. I can't tell you the exact method as it varies from BIOS to BIOS. Hopefully you know that.
Then just pop the cd in to the drive and boot up the computer. It will show you a startup screen where you just have to press enter. ANd you will have to select some options like language, location, etc. Then it will try configure your network. If it can't do it manually, you will have to do it yourself, it is easy enough or if you cannot do it then look it up in google or post it here.
Then again you will be bombarded with options to select various parameters it will be easy enough or the required options will be usually given as defualt.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
If you live in Chennai I can give you my custom version of ubuntu livecd...Will all the apps you may ever need..

Satissh S

Youngling
Why?? Why not., you can use. You mean BSNL Dataone BB? Head over to the Excellent Tutorial by Riyaz (desertwind) on top of this forum. If i remember, you are karthick aren't you??

kato

Karthiksn
Okay dude but my question was about LIVE CD not an installlation as he says to reboot it and we will be able to use it.

Also Satish i m Karthik no C and why did u ask have me met in Chennai

Satissh S

Youngling
You can do the same using Live CD without rebooting. In ubuntu select Desktop --> Administration --> Network Configuration ( or sumthing like that ) Enter your DNS addresses and your IP , Gateway , Broadcast adress in those tabs. Select ok and bring up the ethernet (activate). I don't remember the names. In knoppix select the knoppix penguin logo and select hardware --> Network configuration and answer the questions in the wizard similarly.

kato

Karthiksn
Okay if thats the case then sure and sure i will give it a try before jumping onto FC4 when i get a new 80 GB hard disk

Thanks Satish so i have to follow the same method as DW said right

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
For resizing and other work connected with partition, you may use norton partition magic. If you have got data in D drive, better take backups before you do anything.

praka123

left this forum longback
u can use parted for resizing...many gui's are available like gparted etc..
*www.gnu.org/software/parted/
*www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_mono/parted.html

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Ok guys, i hv installed FC4 onto my system but just out of curiosity i wanna ask tat is Ubuntu powerful than FC4??. I jus got a parcel of free Ubuntu CDs delivered to my house by registering on this site: *shipit.ubuntu.com/

Is it a sensible idea of sticking to FC4 and not to switch over to Ubuntu ?? (im still on a learning curve in FC4).
Awating replies....

Cheers n e-peace.....

mehulved

Well both are very good distros in their own way. Its a matter of personal choice. I myself find Debian based distros like Ubuntu more perferable. But there are other who prefer RPM based distros too. I guess you should stick to FC4 for now and then try out Ubuntu and if you have some place on your hard disk you can install Ubuntu too. Ubuntu is a simple to use distro with bare minimum packages installed by default for an average user. It is worth trying out. What I like most about it is that it has had the best rate of hardware detection for me compared to any other linux distro.
You can try out the live cd you've got, for the time being and look at how it feels.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Tech

Thanx for ur reply bro, U hv helped me always (in past too) related to querries of LINUX. Well do tell me one more thing, that if i use the LIVE CD then will i hv to install anything onto the HDD or the Ubuntu OS will run from the CD itself ? (like a trial version)

Also wat are RPM based and Debian based Distributions? Well yaa even thou im not an expert but i will definately agree to the fact that all Linux distros are really user friendly and easy to install too. :)

BTW, sum1 in the Open source forum (sorry, i dnt remember the user's name) recommended me this link www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html to learn abt Linux, but i need a link where it teaches me to learn abt FC4, can u please provide me the link so tat it can teach me everything right from scratch like the A,B,Cs of FC4 !!!

Awating replies....

Cheers n e-peace.....

naveenchandran

In the zone
@ ashu888ashu888

If u use a Live CD nothing is necessary to be installed to HDD. Just put the cd onto the drive and boot through it...

BTW there is nothing called as Trial ;)

Everything will run from the CD itself... It performs on the fly decompression... You may also a find slight decrease in speed when accessing through live cd.

The RPM Package Manager (RPM) is a powerful command line driven package management system capable of installing, uninstalling, verifying, querying, and updating computer software packages.

*www.rpm.org

What is a Debian package?
Packages generally contain all of the files necessary to implement a set of related commands or features. There are two types of Debian packages:

Binary packages, which contain executables, configuration files, man/info pages, copyright information, and other documentation. These packages are distributed in a Debian-specific archive format they are usually distinguished by having a '.deb' file extension. Binary packages can be unpacked using the Debian utility dpkg; details are given in its manual page.
Source packages, which consist of a .dsc file describing the source package (including the names of the following files), a .orig.tar.gz file that contains the original unmodified source in gzip-compressed tar format and usually a .diff.gz file that contains the Debian-specific changes to the original source. The utility dpkg-source packs and unpacks Debian source archives; details are provided in its manual page.

*www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html

Check out...
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

and yes www.tldp.org is a great source of learning... It is not Distro Specific....

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ naveen,

Thanx for ur reply bro :)
But at www.tdlp.org Im not getting a tutorial related to Linux , I mean its a bit confusing for me as to wat to search for and wat to look into... :oops: Can u please help me out in giving me a direct link to a Linux (FC4) tutorial, please i need it and im not able to find a proper way to search the required tutorial.. :(

Awating replies.....

Cheers n e-peace.....

mehulved

Best way is if you can get a book on FC4 administrator's guide from somewhere like a library. Another place will be the man pages and help files on FC4. And I guess you will some tuts on their site too.
DO read linux administrator's guides on TLDP, most the things mentioned in the book will be very relevant to FC, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom