SOme old games

Status
Not open for further replies.

saROMan

QA Juggler
I have AMD 2000+ 256 ram and S3 vga card...using XP....my proble is....
when ever i ty to install old games ..like alladin / junglebook from Disney...(dos based) ... it gives me error : EMS allocation error

i have tryed the Copmatibility option and tryed 640*480 ,256 color etc etc...

now in Jungle the game runs for some time but suddenly i see weard color blocks all over the screen n had to restart...and alladin still does not work...........

is it bkoz they r ment to run on 95/98 ...........can i do some thing about it ......???????

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
u just said they were dos based...xp does not hav real dos...so a lot of stuff doesnt work...sometimes even software meant 2 run on win 95/98 dont work

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
hey ujjwal, can u tell me the exact procedure 4 running games using the bootable floppy? ive tried b4 but never got anyhting 2 run...the prompt would stay at A: drive and not run anything...like if i have some game installed and i wanna run it using the bootable floppy, what should i do???

ujjwal

Padawan
Well ... once you boot the bootable floppy, browse to the directory containing the game, and enter the name of the executable game file.

Like if the game file is D:\Quake\quake.exe

Type the following commands -

D:\
cd Quake
quake.exe

You would of course need to know basic dos commands.

gamefreak14

Journeyman
NO, there's no need to do all this. All you need is a DOS Emulator, such as DOSBox. get it here:-
*prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.61-win32-installer.exe?download

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
dear freak i tryed dl the Dos BoX ...but at the mirror it shows the size is 663KB ...when i dl it the size is just 16KB also after running it its giving me error " The NTVDM CPU has encounterd an illegal instruction CD:0581 IP:02f5 ......etc etc..... ?????????
whats going on????

[deXter]

Journeyman
You just had a corrupted download. Download DOSbox from this link:

*mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/dosbox/DOSBox0.61-win32-installer.exe

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
dos box is slow...ive used it...unless u have a really fast computer, everything runs in slow motion...even then, a few software run really slowly...

and ujjwal, that is what i used 2 do but the freakin' prompt would never change...i was never able 2 get out of the A:

btw, welcome back dexy...we missed u... :lol: :lol:

ujjwal

Padawan
Hey nemesis, maybe you typed cd C:\ ? cd changes the working directry in the specified drive, but it doesnt necessarily change the current drive to the one specified ... just type C:\ to enter C:\ drive and cd to your directory. That was the problem I had when I tried DOS first :)

[deXter]

Journeyman
Hey Nemesis.. been extremly busy with college and stuff. Its the college fest season and every college has their own fest, some of them are really big scale, so participating in a lot of events in different colleges..

Yeah, DosBox is slow if you have a gfx intensive game and an older computer. But DosBox is fully configurable and in the end did manage to get some *acceptable* results on my p3 450..

Another program worth mentioning is VDMsound. Its not a DOS emulator, but a Sound Blaster 16 (DOS) emulator. This amazing program manages to fix all my sound problems in DOS games (eg, OMF 2097, BioMenace etc)

However if the DosBox thingy doesnt work out, a full fledged virtual machine like MS VPC or VMware could do. Just install real MS DOS 6 etc in the vpc and you may get good results if you have a faster comp.

The last option would be either installing 9x to make a dual boot system, or to use a bootup floppy.

id10t

Broken In
imho try D-Fend with DOSBox.
the main reason behind you getting slow speeds in DOSBox might have been wrong profile settings. D-Fend acts as a graphical frontend to DOSBox and will help you to make a proper profile, after which you can fiddle with settings. usually games work well when you give them low CPU cycles i.e. around 20,000 i.e. 20 KHz rather than moving on higher sides.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Hmm..

What i'm gonna say next will seem so obvious, but still, let me say it in case you dont get it ;)

Visit
*www.dosgames.com

:D

Yeah, one of the best sites for getting DOS games, also has a lot of cool utilities related to DOS gaming :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom