soMe miGHtY tWEaKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashisharya

In the zone
Disable Indexing Service

This indexing service gets info from files on the hard drive and creates a "searchable keyword index."

If you don't use the XP search feature often to look for documents, you can turn this feature off, and the difference you'll notice is a slight increase in the time it takes for your computer to find a file, but an overall increase in general speed for everything else.

You can disable indexing service from My Computer > right-click on the C: Drive (where your Windows is installed) > select Properties.
Uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching." Apply changes to "C: sub folders and files," and click OK.

Finding out the reason of a Windows crash

If you would like to know the reason why there was a sudden crash of Windows, change the DWORD-value ShutdownReasonUI temporarily to 1 in the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Reliability
After a reboot you will find the reason why your Windows shuts down suddenly in the log files (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Logfiles). If you are finished analyzing, change the value ShutdownReasonUI back to 0.

A faster NTFS file system

You probably use the NTFS file system (see the properties of your C: partition). You can improve performance by making some changes in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
Change the following registry values, as you wish:
DisableNTFSLastAccessUpdate=dword:00000001 (last file access is no longer registered).
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=dword:00000001 (no more double filenames: long names and the old 8.3 variant (the 8.3 file notation is used for the older Windows versions).
NtfsMftZoneReservation=dword:00000002 (if there are many files on a partition, the master file table (MFT) can get fragmented, with this tweak there will be no more fragmenting of the file master file table (default value = 1, range 1-4).

Windows search optimization

Within Windows XP you are able to search your computer for files (Start, Search), but takes some clicking to get what you want! To optimize the search function, you have to make some registry changes. To make changes, navigate to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
where you will find some important DWORD-values. Change these values to optimize your Windows search:
SearchSystemDirs=1
SearchHidden=1
IncludeSubFolders=1
CaseSensitive=0
SearchSlowFiles=1

Source: www.tweakxp.com

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
I don't understand why you titled this post as mighty tweaks !
These are all basic tweaks that probably most of us know here !
But yes......
The tweakxp site contains some good material for all to add to their collection.

There were some other sites as well from where I gathered stuff about XP but I forgot their URLs ..... But I have the stuff.....
Wait till I add them 2 rapidshare and then allow u ppl to download !!

i think u forgot one tweak-------
How to Shutdown Windows XP
Heres how u do it-
Goto-Start-Shatdown n click on Turn Off.
I think this was a MIGHTY tweak.lol

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
LOL , and one more from me , how to access your programs :

Look keenly at the bottom left of your computer screen , you will see "start" written there , click on it too access all your programs !

bet you didn't know it .

comrade

foreign return(0)
how to access your programs:
option 1; keep ur hand on mouse move it accordingly ur cursor moves on the screen untill u place the cursor on start button...click(use left click) then move ur cursor to where it is captioned 'programs'.
option 2;press windows key(microsoft logo..if u dont know google it for) press up arrow key until programs highlighted.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Buddy, there was a tweaking sticky already and u post regularly there.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom