some HDD and RAM questions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

saiko

Right off the assembly line
hi!
i would like to know some basic question about RAM and HDD.....

Is Hynix ram good? ppl say though its the cheapest possible option available but its not a good quality one...
which is the best ram avaialable in india?

Are all current of HDD have SATA or its only available in some higher-priced ones?
Which is the best HDD ?

the questions might be funny....but its been 2 years i bought my last computer and i didn't have any connact with the computer hardware market since then.... now everything seems really different!

regards....
saiko

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Most ppl dont recommend HYNIX. i think currently TRANSCEND is considered best, then is KINGSTON.

Sata Drives r costly but i dont know much about them. But watever u do, dont buy SAMSUNG. For me SEAGATE is the best, i dont have any probs wid it till now, i have been using it for last 2 yrs.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
RAM: hynix is good, IMO.
256mb ram: Rs 1800 or so.

HDD: We can get ordinary one, even W/O SATA ones.
GEt maxtor diamond HDD, sata
rs. 4000 ,120GB, 7200 RPM
Rs. 7000, 250gb, 7200 RPM.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Transcend, Kingston, Crucial, Corsair are considered to be the top brands for RAM. But Hynix is cheaper and IMO very good too. I must have bought and installed hundreds of Hynix RAM sticks over the past several years, out of which one 128MB unit installed 2 1/2 years ago failed recently, and it's the only failure I've had so far.

PATA HDDs are easily available and are cheaper than SATA drives. At the moment, the advantage of SATA is mainly theoretical. You won't see any significant improvement in performance.

I use only Seagate HDDs. They are quiet, come with a 5-year warranty, and I've had only one failure out of those I installed myself. I've seen several Samsung drives fail. I've never used Maxtor drives but I've seen numerous reports of early failure of Maxtor drives.

OP
S

saiko

thanks guys :)

whats OMU? :oops:
some ppl say that "400Mhz Hynix actually run at lowerfrequency than the claimed"- is that true?

pimpom said:
PATA HDDs are easily available and are cheaper than SATA drives. At the moment, the advantage of SATA is mainly theoretical. You won't see any significant improvement in performance.

ppl say that "as SATA uses very thin cable, it does not block airflow, where PATA creates problem for the same"....is it only theoretical? or it really makes sense?
can a SATA drive be installed with a PATA drive?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I don't know of any common use of the term OMU in connection with computers (anyone ??) Google turns up such things as One Man Unix, Open Minded Unity, etc.

I've had no problem running Hynix DDR400 RAMs run at 400 speed (200MHzx2). Many motherboard BIOSes will not auto-run any RAM (not just Hynix) at DDR400 speed unless certain conditions are met (I won't go into details about that now).

Some people actually claim that the flat PATA cable is aerodynamically better than the round SATA cable. In any case, I always fold and tie all cables neatly to provide the least obstruction to airflow, so I don't see anything much to be gained from using SATA cable.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against anyone's using SATA, but considering their higher cost and the current state of development, I don't see much sense in buying a SATA drive at present. Personally, I prefer the tried-and-true PATA drives, though things will certainly change in the future.

ravekanth

can a SATA drive be installed with a PATA drive?

It can be installed?? but the SATA drive becomes the primary master.... you have to install ur OS on the SATA drive...
As from RAM's Hynix RAM's are quite good..in fact even Kigstom uses Hynix RAM modules in their value models...Though Transcend, Corsair or Crucial n Kingston are considered among the best

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Re: can a SATA drive be installed with a PATA drive?

ravekanth said:
It can be installed?? but the SATA drive becomes the primary master.... you have to install ur OS on the SATA drive...

Sata can be mixed with pata disks no problems either can be master it just does not matter My system has two sata disk and a pata disk with win xp. You can select the boot sequence in the bios.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I have used Hynix on various systems I have put together and havent had any problems yet.

As for hard drives Ive only used Seagate and havent had any complaints yet :D

theraven

Technomancer
hehe i think he meant to ask what is IMO !
In My Opinion :p
( tho im not sure )

and the rest have covered it all
transcend tho not the best it is good
id recomment kingston for value of money !

HDD seageate with a 5 yr warranty !
( samsung has a 5yr warranty as well but ... well ... i dun trust anything but monitors from samsung

difference between a pata and sata drive is like 400-500 bucks ( <1000 for sure )

Decius

Broken In
Hynix modules r gud, the problems come in when u get the fake ones, there is no problem watsoever in the original ones....i have used them for long and in fact still using it (simmtronics with Hynix module)

512 mb DDR 400 for Rs 3450

HDD - Seagate is my choice. U can go for SATA as the price diff isnt that much..i recently got 80 GB 7200 RPM (Seagate) or Rs 3050 whereas the PATA was priced at around 2600 so u see difference is NOT huge but if u have budget constraints u can get PATA. :)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Hinix RAMs are not so bat nd not so appreciable also.But they are better than the local one nd imitations.
As of HDD even 40GB HDD are available in SATA nd is priced much lower somewhat similar to PATA(Parallel ATA).
As Ur mobo is much older I dont think that it could support SATA HDDs.
I have been using 2 Samsung PATA HDD for years nd no problems yet but they seems tad slow sometimes.My next pick would be from Saegate or Maxtor.

progistheway

Broken In
Hynix are fine. But kingston are the best balance between price and performance. Transcend and Crucial are the best performers but very expensive.
I would suggest you to go for a SATA drive if your mobo and budget support it. The SP1213 120GB model from samsung (7200RPM) is pretty cheap and a good performer. They have this 3 year warranty thing too so it'll be a secure investment. Also they're less noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom