Some dial-up queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

vysakh

Padawan
1. Every time i connect to internet, the maximum speed i get is 46.6 kbps. Even during noon or during peek time. Not so long ago i used to get atleast 54 kbps. How do i increase this connecting speed ?

2. As mensioned above, i get a usual speed of 46.6 kbps. So when i download files, i should be getting atleast 5kBps. But i am not getting it. I tried many download managers, inbuilt download manager of OPERA and FF etc but the maximim speed I get is 3.5 kBps. How can I increase it by atleast 1 kB.

since broadband is expensive than dial-up IN MY CITY, i am not planning to switch to broadband

plz suggest some solutions

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi
Even I had faced the same problem.... I think the remaining of the bandwith is used for download the stuff for the pages like content, and images..... This is the case wherein u open pages and at the sametime download....
If I dont open any pages, the download speed increases a bit but not the full speed. It may the speed at which it is connected at that time or some thing related to peak speeed transfer.....

Regards,
Ramprasad

bharathbala2003

why need title?
@vysakh ramprasad is right.. in dial up u need to close other windows where u browse to imporve speeds.. and also since the phone line in our country doesn allow much speeds v cant help it.. max u can get is about 5.. above that is very rare..

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
46.6k is the speed at which you're connected to the server. Your server connects to the main Internet gateway through several steps and actual download speed can be affected by other factors along the chain.

I'm using dial-up too and download speeds can vary widely. Sometimes I get more than 5KB/s for a few days, and sometimes it crawls at less than 0.5KB/s.

Noise in your phone line can reduce transfer speeds too. Interference from electrical noise sources and imperfections in electrical contact at junction points can all contribute to a reduction in speed.

Tech&ME

Banned
To get good speed on a dial-up connection, u can try the following tips:

Step 1 : Check how the telephone cable enters your home, (CASE A )is it completely underground cable. or (CASE B) is it undergrounded till the junction box and from the junction box they (your service provider) have provided wiring through over-head cable.

Step 2: In most cases it should be CASE B if so, next u should see that the over-head wire is one whole wire and there are no tie-up or joints in it. If u have joints in between your bandwith is affected. So, call the service man and ask him to arrange to put a new wire which is one complete wire from the junction box to your room. (They will not change you for replaceing wire, it is a FREE service from BSNL , if your service provider is BSNL.).

Step 3 : Open up your computer cabinet and regularly clean dust from the modem. They will ensure the modem does not head up too much.

Step 4 : Download stuff separetly and don't mix surffing the net and downloading together.

Step 5 : when downloading large files, do not use office programs and other softwares. Leave the computer at its own and let the download complete first.

Hope this will help.

Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
Its pretty normal. QoS dsn't suck much i guess. So config is fine. N u shud get a gud speed in dialup stds. MAn swith over to broadband if u r so speed hungry!

parthbarot

In the zone
see... to increase connection speed..use some soft like modem booster....TweakMaster...etc...which tweaks settings of TCP/IP,TTL,SSL ,acknowledgements etc... so may be ur speed of dloading & browsing increase...

or
to increase browsing speed use "onspeed","artera","propel"...which is some proxy server..& compresses data before u see it...

or
serch site for "anonymous proxy server" & use any of the IP add of them to use as proxyserver in ur browser... in IE goto "internet options"-->"connections"-->"LAN settings" & set IP of proxy

in opera...gotp "preferences"--->"networking" then use it...

for p2p softs use shareza,kazaa,bitcomet.mIrc

for dload manager use leechget or flashget

regards...

OP
vysakh

vysakh

Padawan
[quote="parthbarot"
serch site for "anonymous proxy server" & use any of the IP add of them to use as proxyserver in ur browser... in IE goto "internet options"-->"connections"-->"LAN settings" & set IP of proxy

in opera...gotp "preferences"--->"networking" then use it...
regards...[/quote]

i didnt understand that properly
can you explain it again

BTW even in january i used to get 52-54kbps and a download speed nearing 6kbps

my modem is clean and there is no disturbance in my telephone line

while downloading i close all programs that make use of internet

hack expert

In the zone
hey

u can try this well there are many softwares like

EASY MTU and stuff use them u can configure the the mtu value to boost up ur speed well this method is one of the best working method available
to boost up speed
well to tell u i tried out this i had bsnl bfone connection before i switched to cable net on that connection i used to get a decent 5.5 KBps speed as it had no call facility just net connections also after that i tried easy mtu configured the right approx value n amazingly i got 6.5 - 7 KBps quite unusual for dial up well u may get about 5 KBps try it out well the software is quite self explanatory

also one thing dont just change the values as recomended by them u gotta test it for the best value it often differs

also backup ur registry to be on the safer side

parthbarot

In the zone
buddy i say how to set that IP addd of proxy server in ur IE or OPERA as ur proxy server....

means all data come through that server....then on any site u sirf ,ur IP is that server's IP add...is it safe?ok?

u can set it for other softs.........

for IE to set proxy server...

"internet options"-->click tab "connections"-->"LAN settings" --->check "use proxy server for ur LAN..."----> then press"advanced"---> set in "HTTP" ---"Proxy add to use" & "port".....

got it...?

in opera goto file-->Preferences ...u will find there....

regards

OP
vysakh

vysakh

Padawan
if i use proxy server, will i be able to view all websites???

how do i find the proxy server ip of this website

parthbarot

In the zone
proxy server is the server which store all data before it comes to u..so when next time u access the data it will get fast to come to u...so speed for browsing increases...? ok.

some proxy r anonymous,transperrent & soem r left by mistake of their admins..ok?so u can use them...as ur proxy until not they have been locked...so ur speed increases & ur IP will be changed to that server's IP...ok?

to find it...
write in google ---" Anonymous Proxy Server List"..
u will get many sites... & then check which IP is giving more speed like 3 to 5 KB/s..
u can use some software to check the list for anonymity...to get that google--->"anonymous proxy checker"...

may be u cant see some sites but most of them let u...but dont do mischief...hacking etc...u can use it for "THAT" stuff... :?:

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom