Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Win XP professional as OS. But when i started the internet connection it show me a lot of "Messenger Service" messages like "Msg FROM to TO " regarding registry infection and other scaning. Whethere it is a virus or spyware or adware ?
If any one know how to stop these msgs plz tell me.

thanks
:?:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
First make sure hv u installed SP2?

If not, the first d/l and install SP2 and all essential updates.
Then its turn of a good anti-virus s/w, If u don't hv, d/l ne of following free anti virus s/w, both work gr8:

Download AVG
Download Avast

There is also a thread running for BEST anti-virus, u can look there for finding the BEST according to ur requirements!

Antivirus Software Comparison

And u must also hv a good firweall installed on ur system!
Zone Alarm is the BEST!
Read following thread for more information:

firewalls !! which is good????
ZoneAlarm® 6.0.667.000 Free/ Pro/ with Antivirus/

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
They gotta be ads

Write following in Start -> Run or in Command Prompt
"net stop messenger"
This will stop it once.

To stop the service from starting from next time.
Go to Start -> Run -> type "services.msc"
Scroll down to a service called Messenger.
Double Click on it.. and change the startup type to either Manual or Disabled.

You dont explicitly need SP2 or AntiVirus or Firewall. The messages will stop. But getting SP2 and Firewall is reccommended.

PS: Does your messages say "Oh my god ! Somebody killed a Chinese Hacker" ( or something similar ) , then it's a virus.

-----
alibi

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
1st thing ... it has nothing to do with "Windows Messenger"
2ndly .. since when did Windows Messenger start getting listed in Add Remove Programs ?

-----
alibi

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
I totally agree with alib_i that it has nothing to do with Windows messenger. I have posted the similiar problem elsewere in discussion forum as I am also facing the same problem. I run my PC on WinXP home SP1 with Microsoft Antispyware, symantec Antivirus Client Edition and Bazooka Scanner adware. but none of them is able to find the problem.

But if I stop the messenger service, Remote Procedure Call service will stop and whic h in turn will stop a hell lot of services.
Background Intelligent transfer Service
COM+ Event System
COM+ System Application
Cryptographic Services
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Error Reporting Service
Help and Support
Human Interface Device Access
Indexing Services
IPSEC Services
Local disk Manager + 24 more services

That means most of the services of Windows XP will be unavailable

Guys got any alternative suggestions.

godsownman

Padawan
Please do not use the BOLD style . Use it only for certain important features.

Its a request . It hurts the eye. :)

Regards

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
@shivkumar ...

Man ... seriously .. dont use bold letters like that .. it hurts the eye.

And,
Who told you that messenger service stops Remote Procedure Call service? There's nothing like that. I keep my messenger service off most of the time and Remote Procedure Call service and other services are not affected in any way. Messenger service is recommended to be switched off when not being used, as it eats resources unnecessarily.

-----
alibi

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
I installed trial version of zone alarm and it detected 5 spywares in my PC which MS anti-spyware was unable to detect. Now my PC is running fine. No pop-ups like MESSAGE FROM TO regarding registry infection. Sachinbaviskar give this also a try.

anandk

Distinguished Member
check this thread out
how to make winxp more safer
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23938&highlight=safer

planetcall

Indian by heart
Simply disable your messenger service. It will save you from a lot of hassles. Also use a firewall like free ZoneAlarm etc. Try to look for things on google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom