Solution for Samsung CD-RW Drive tray problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sms_solver

In the zone
Solution for Samsung CD-RW Drive tray problem

I have 2 and half year old 24-10-40 Samsung CD-RW drive. For the last 6 months or so it is giving me a problem: the tray doesn’t come out just by pressing the eject button. I have to press the eject button 5-8 times to eject the tray. I knew many Samsung drives have the problem.

So I decided to find out the solution. What I found was that the tray is not balanced and the rubber band that connects the rear motor to the gear (which moves the tray) has lost its elasticity. One solution is to change the rubber band but finding one is not so easy.

The main reason for tray's problem (which I think) is that the motor has not enough power to pop the tray out. It is due to the magnetic attraction between main motor and the tray's top cover which has circular iron encapsulated in plastic. I have tested the drive without the top-cover. The eject button worked fine.

Finally the solution, which I found, was that never keep the drive without a CD. Always keep a CD (blank or damaged CD or [transparent circular plastic without any coating] ) will do. This is the temp solution. People with same problem can try my temporary solution.

And plz post the reply telling whether the temp. solution helped or didn't helped!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Yo sms_solver, i use this thing in my samsung cd rom drive which is around 6 years old. And this tray problem is nagging me for the past 5 months or so.., yes i use this technique and the ROM works fine without any problems.
But i think most of us would know this one before itself.

We can also use a pin to pierce in the small hole and make the tray to come out, in case it wont come out.

tuxfan

Technomancer
sms_solver, thanks for the tip. My drive has recently started giving my similar problem. Now I will do what you have just said :)

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
I have a problem with an older Samsung CDRW drive (48x) The problem is that the drive tray keeps ejecting all the time. And even if I put a disc in the tray, it still keeps ejecting it and if I want to make it read a disc, I need to keep my finger tightly pressed on the mouth of the tray to make sure it doesn't open midway during a read/write. Any solution for this that I can use instead of giving it for repairs?

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
ok , havent been totally fiddling with the samsung cdrw (ie , havent opened it koz r/w is working) , but the tray problem is some cases seem to be because from left and right side of the tray are moved in and out of the drive at difference speeds , as in the side with the motor moves first and then the other , making it pause in between . what i have tried is just below the tray , there are TUNNELS or protrutions that run all along the tray , parallel to those TEETH which connected to the motor . Try applying multipurpose grease on the TEETH and most parts below the tray to see if it work . has been working fine for me all day .

Others who have a problem where they ahve to lift the tray on one side , might think of applying thin layer of cello-tape all along the side that needs lifting . once i get my hands on an opened tray , will try to figure out other ways .

PS : make sure u apply grease evenly and spread it , so that u dont have big pieces , going into the drive

vysakh

Padawan
i have a problem. It ejects fine but if it put a cd and again press the button, it doesnt go in. Either i have to press the button 6-7 times or give it a delicate push. Is it some alignment problem ??

gamefreak14

Journeyman
Another one which I found out is a crude method, I don't advise doing it everytime. Head over to Device manager > Your drive prop> Uninstall. Click 'Refresh' and the drive will get detected again, and now it should work.

valtea

In the zone
samsung (buildurpc.com) cd drived are horrible. i have purchased 2 nos and they both didnt last for 2 months. Giving problems with the lens even though i didnt use it to watch VCDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom