SOLUTION: Folder Options not available in Tools Menu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys!

Many ppl find that in their windows Tools -> Folder Options is not visible, they also can't access it from the Control Panel. I hv seen so many threads for this problem recently in our forum, I searched in forum and found more than 15 threads for this problem. :)

So I decided to post this tutorial, in this tutorial I'll tell the reasons which can cause this problem and their solutions: ;)

1.) You can enable Folder Options by simply editing the Windows Registry! Just type regedit in RUN dialog box and it'll open Registry Editor, now goto following keys:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
And in right-side pane, check whether a DWORD value named NoFolderOptions exists or not? If it exists then either change its value to 0 or delete it.

2.) If you are not familiar with Editing the registry, then u can simply download the registry tweak from here and then simply run the file:

*www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/folderoptions.reg

3.) But sometimes u can find that regedit is also disabled, when u'll try to open regedit or run the downloaded reg file, u'll get error:

Registry Editor has been disabled by administrator.
Its a symptom of "RONTOKBRO" Trojan! You can get more information about this trojan here:

*www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/eksplorasi/
*www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/eksplorasi.exe-13150.html
*www.greatis.com/appdata/d/_/_windir__eksplorasi.exe.htm
*www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/dangerous_files/1759-WinDireksplorasiexe.html

Just scan ur system with a good anti-virus. u can try avast! or AVG as a free anti-virus or use Kaspersky or NOD32 as a paid solution. You can also follow following method to remove this trojan manually:

*www.greatis.com/appdata/d/_/_windir__eksplorasi.exe_Removal.htm

4.) If its not a virus problem and someone disabled Registry Editor in ur system, then u can enable it again by following any of following methods:

a.) Type gpedit.msc in RUN dialog box and goto:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System

in right-side pane, set "Prevent access to Registry editing tools" to either Not Configured or Disabled.

b.) Just type following in RUN dialog box and press <ENTER>:

Code:
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Now after enabling Registry Editor, u can enable Folder Options again by using 1st or 2nd step ;)

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
lol, I was not frustrated *img52.exs.cx/img52/271/l9iblush.gif

Actually I posted this tut, so that newbies can get their problem solved after going thru the mentioned methods quickly and without waiting for replies ;)

I'll request Mods to pls make this thread Sticky :)

hmvrulz

Broken In
good one.... it will help my friend....

but why does it disappear in 1st place.. is it due to malware or virus ???

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Most of the time it happens due to the trojan, but sometimes may be some of ur friends play prank with u and disables it from either Registry or gpedit.msc ;)

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
hi vishal.did u forget to inform the changes to be made in hkey local machine to include folder options.actually i made the changes as u said but dint work.so i thought i shud make changes in the hkey local machine too.(the same drop down).it worked .thanks.
and a lot of thanks for all the other posts.:) :) :) :) :) :)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^
thnx buddy :)

I request admin/mods to make this thread STICKY :)
I hv seen so many threads about the same thing recently, I think there r 2 or more threads today about the same problem.

And all members give solution for the problem, If u make this thread sticky, mods can close the similar topics and can ask the topic starter to read the sticky in TUTORIALS section :D

mr_356

Broken In
gr8 solved my problem.

this problem happend to me becas of Worm.Win32.Brontok.q
this worm had disabled regedit and folder option.
though i cleaned it with Kaspersky.
and but it didnt enable regedit and folder option.
so this is useful.

thanx vishal

ashwin_ka

Broken In
4.) If its not a virus problem and someone disabled Registry Editor in ur system, then u can enable it again by following any of following methods:

a.) Type gpedit.msc in RUN dialog box and goto:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System

in right-side pane, set "Prevent access to Registry editing tools" to either Not Configured or Disabled.

b.) Just type following in RUN dialog box and press <ENTER>:

Code:
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Now after enabling Registry Editor, u can enable Folder Options again by using 1st or 2nd step ;)[/quote]

hey vishal,i tried this method but it didnt work...help me out here...iam using xp home edition with service pack 2..

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^
Bcoz Home edition doesnt hv "gpedit.msc". ;)
Also try this code:

Code:
REG add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Tech Geek said:
Nice tut
thanks

BTW did you notice that Qwerty maniac is in shameful misery
He is on a self imposed ban
dude all of us are really addicted to thre forum so much that we can' study thats when self imposed ban comes handy

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
Buddy ...........
how To remove the virus "RONTOKBRO"........
I hv scan with Nod32...........but.............i am unable to remove it

Pradeep Kumar KD

Right off the assembly line
I am not able to run the command regedit as run command is also disabled at the start menu. what i should do to restore run command menu ?

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Regedit doesnt when the virus attacks... Vishy.
It's Brontok virus btw... The best antivirus which worked against this $hit of a virus for me was the one i always detest.. Norton. AVG too worked... but the virused file was deleted, only to turn up again someway! Norton removed it for sure!

And.. I tried all the methods online... some crappy manuals... but Norton changed my concept on themselves!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom