software communucating with smss.exe, allow/deny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
hi,

i see invariably many processes wanting to communicate with smss.exe, zonealarm asks for permission... however, whether i allow or deny, the program seems to start running. windows media player, trojan hunter 2 of the programs which asked for the communication with smss.exe. what is it actually and y do they need to ? can i click on deny without affecting in anyway the functioning of the program.

/legolas

phatratt

In the zone
smss.exe is a system file which can be easily infected by worms run anti virus that can detect worms.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
:-o did u understand my question? i asked many softwares access smss.exe.. is it absolutely normal? anyways, i hav installed windows only a day back. and thee is no virus i can guarantee. however, my qyestion was different.

/legolas

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Yeah You Shoul allow it or it will create problem...

SMSS.EXE is Session Manager SubSystem...
which is responsible for starting the user session. This process is initiated by the system thread and is responsible for various activities, including launching the Winlogon and Win32 (Csrss.exe) processes and setting system variables. After it has launched these processes, it waits for either Winlogon or Csrss to end. If this happens "normally," the system shuts down; if it happens unexpectedly, Smss.exe causes the system to stop responding (hang).

So there is no threat to allow trusted applications to use it...

But read carefully.."Trusted Applications"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom