So Here Comes NLD 10 to beat Vista!

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenchandran

In the zone
Novell Linux Desktop 10 :D

Linux Edge said:
A preview of Novell Linux Desktop 10 (NLD10) was shown to an audience at the Solutions Linux conference this week in Paris. We have a selection of videos which display a variety of amazing effects through the use of XGL, including transparency, wobbling windows, a 3D Cube for desktop switching :eek: , and a task switcher which displays a preview of windows.

*www.linuxedge.org/?q=node/55

Check out the videos at

*www.linuxedge.org/videos/NLD_SLconf_1.avi
*www.linuxedge.org/videos/NLD_SLconf_2.avi
*www.linuxedge.org/videos/NLD_SLconf_3.avi
*www.linuxedge.org/videos/NLD_SLconf_4.avi

:D :D

Satissh S

Youngling
WoW!! Take a look at the fast 3d-flip :shock: Did you notice the transparency in titlebar? As well as high-resolution zooming of the titlebar?? I really hope the technology be a FOSS.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Have to wait foe it to release...I just hope these features are also present in OpenSuse 10.1...

eddie

El mooooo
dIgItaL_BrAt said:
Though it's pretty,the H/W requirements will be quite high.
I am sure it will be less than what Vista (with all its eye candy) might require. This combined with optimized modular X, xcomposite, EXA Render and KDE 4 will probably kill the Vista hype.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
dIgItaL_BrAt said:
Though it's pretty,the H/W requirements will be quite high.

Dont think so, it should run fine even on a accelerated tnt or tnt2, those effects don´t require a 40,000 Rs card.

Microsoft is just jacking up the sales of new pcs nothing more, their effects should effectively run on these embedded graphic chipsets nowadays, but hey didnt I say jacking up? that means they have to make sure it dosent works on them.

These effects are noway near the ammount of processing power required for 3d games.

eddie

El mooooo
gauravnawani said:
Microsoft is just jacking up the sales of new pcs nothing more, their effects should effectively run on these embedded graphic chipsets nowadays, but hey didnt I say jacking up? that means they have to make sure it dosent works on them.
So true!!! Microsoft deliberately installs cruft along with its OS so that people need new hardware to use the "Enhanced Features". Was just looking at Wikipedia and found this
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#Hardware_requirements
Remember that is bare minimum!!! Microsoft says that the minimum required for XP is 128MB but we all need that it needs at least 512MB or more to work acceptably. Now compare those figures with Vista and you'll need 2GB RAM to work with Vista. What sh!t.

Satissh S

Youngling
Also, Microsoft gives you binaries.. not source. When those novell amusements are compiled from source they will run much faster than when run as binaries.
Provided.. Let's all hope Novell Releases em' under GPL.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Satissh S said:
Also, Microsoft gives you binaries.. not source. When those novell amusements are compiled from source they will run much faster than when run as binaries.
Provided.. Let's all hope Novell Releases em' under GPL.

The XGL extensions are already released
*www.novell.com/linux/xglrelease/

and compwiz fill follow soon, :D

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Just saw that at gnomedesktop the compwiz has been release too and people are partying with it already.

*www.linuxedge.org/?q=node/58

Downloading Draper :d

OP
N

naveenchandran

In the zone
I wonder why need Draper...

I think it should also work with ubuntu 5.10 with Xorg 7...
and also I have "VIA/S3G Unichrome Graphics" will it work?

BTW Here's HOW TO's :D

From Source
*www.terra.es/personal/diegocg/xglbuild.txt

Ubuntu
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=127090

Suse
*en.opensuse.org/Xgl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom