SMPS Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

BittooTheBe(A)sT

Right off the assembly line
Hi friends,

I have quite an antique piece as my PC. Its P4 2.66, Intel 845GVSR, 768MB of ram, 17" Crt all supported by a 325W Microtek SMPS.

It was running fine for the last 4 and half years but yesterday the fan of my power supply broke off from a side. Now it makes very loud irritating noise. Its so damn irritating that 3 or 4 times i have already hit my cabinet for it to stop. I also opened the box and tried to tape the fan but all in vain its still making strange sounds.

So Friends, what should i do now?. Can I only get my fan replaced or do i have to buy the whole SMPS. whats is the price of a new 325W Microtek or any other brand SMPS?

Reply soon guys, I'm really getting mad now. Bhutt!!! :Hits_the_cabinet_in_frustration: :mad:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
The best will be..a new cabinet.
don't buy 325 watt SMPS..rather buy 450 watt SMPs.

A good decent 450 watt SMPS will cost around Rs. 400-500/-

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
BittooTheBe(A)sT said:
...i have already hit my cabinet for it to stop. I also opened the box and tried to tape the fan but all in vain its still making strange sounds.
This is the worst thing you could do. Gag and abuse the SMPS fan!!! You better watch out. If you don't stop abusing the poor fan then I'll file a case against you with the National SMPS Fan Rights Comission :D :D :D

On a serious note, take it to the electronic market where you are most likely to find a person who repairs computer parts. Ask him to replace the fan. But first make sure that its only the fan which has gone kaput. If you feel like upgrading, of corz you can buy a new one. Get at least 400W SMPS of a known brand (Zebronics, VIP, Cooler Master, Codegen etc.)

Plz do NOT use the SMPS with a faulty fan. You haf every chance of killing the entire SMPS! Then you will be charged with murder!! ;) :D

OP
B

BittooTheBe(A)sT

Right off the assembly line
Thanks Guys for your replies.

I Think I will just replace the whole SMPS. I will try to get the highest possible Watts in sub Rs 500 Budget, prefferably a 450 W one.

Any suggestions for a particular brand guys. I don't need some high class stuff now, just a decent working one.

Thanks again pals. :)

infra_red_dude said:
This is the worst thing you could do. Gag and abuse the SMPS fan!!! You better watch out. If you don't stop abusing the poor fan then I'll file a case against you with the National SMPS Fan Rights Comission :D :D :D

He He He, nice one, I like that :D

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Zebronic and a good brand.

however , you can go for techcom, frontech also.They also work good..and comes with 1 yr warranty.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I would advise against Techcom and Frontech. Got couple of fugged up ones lying around. Not reliable, at least for me. I'd recommend Zebronics or Codegen (sold under the brand name Perx, But make sure its NOT Perx but CODEGEN printed with Perx sticker). Cooler master is in the Not-so-costly Not-so-cheap range (Mid range).

narangz

Web developer
infra_red_dude said:
Plz do NOT use the SMPS with a faulty fan. You haf every chance of killing the entire SMPS! Then you will be charged with murder!! ;) :D

Haha :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom