SMPS query

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushkaraj

In the zone
My computer is an AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.0 GHz installed in a UMAX cabinet. My nobo is a Gigabyte GA-K8-N51 GMF-9 with 512 MB DDR400 ram and onboard nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU. I hav 2 optical drives, 3 hard disks and a sound card connected to my pc. Is my current UMAX 350 W SMPS enough to power my system?

Also i would like to ask that my hard disks are always at an average temperature of 55 to 58 celsius, so do i need to install a fan coz right now i have only one fan that cools the processor. What should be the optimum temperature of the hard disk?

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Haven't heard of UMAX psu but a good choice (budget psu) would be antec (basiq), coolermaster extreme, VIP(powersafe) or even colorsit would do. A 400-450W would be enough. As for HDD 58c is too high...........try keeping it below 50c. Install a front intake and back outlet fan (if possible).

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
My first question was whether my current psu is enough to power the mentioned configuration. Because i haven't found any problems which would make me feel that the psu isn't supplying enough power.

About ur answer to my 2nd question, i don't think it will be possible to install a front intake fan due to the peculiar design of my cabinet. So can a side fan effectively cool the hard disks?

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Side fans are for proccy and gfx card, not for HDD cooling. Could you please post a pic. of you cabby. Almost all of the recent cabby have option for front intake. And if your psu is working fine then no point in changing the thingy but do check the voltage using everest or speedfan.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
I hav posted a screenshot of speedfan. This was taken just 10 mins after i switched on my pc. Check out the voltages. R they the same u r talking about?

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Ya its the same............but the +12v is showing 8.50v (speedfan is showing wrong info). Anyhow for correct info look into your BIOS (hardware monitoring) and you will find correct voltage.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Well you could certainly install a 120mm rear exhaust fan, next there must be front fan mounting option. Just remove the HDD and see through the HDD bay. Also the side panel has duct so you could install a fan there also.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
All right, i hav done a little cleaning job. I hav also done one more thing - Out of my 3 hdd, i hav removed one hd just to see how far does it hav an effect on temp. Also hav asked an engineer to help me out in installing a fan.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
You could the installation yourself.
Firstly just install the front and back fans, the side panel fan could wait. If the temps drops then install the side fans and see if the overall ambient temps for the closed cabby drops or not. A good airflow is necessary rather than lots of fan.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
K. fine. Thanx. i will try doing dat myself.... ;) ...

My computer is an AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.0 GHz installed in a UMAX cabinet. My nobo is a Gigabyte GA-K8-N51 GMF-9 with 512 MB DDR400 ram and onboard nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU. I hav 2 optical drives, 3 hard disks and a sound card connected to my pc. Is my current UMAX 350 W SMPS enough to power my system?

Hey forgot 2 ask u whether will i b able 2 work the 2 fans with my current config i.e. 350W smps (minus one 40gb hd):confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
After having my 40gb hd removed, i m observing dat even after keeping my pc on for 4 hrs , the temp is remaining close to 51C (an improvement though minor :) ). I suspect dat this particular hd had been connected very close 2 one of the other hds and dat is the reason why the air flow was obstructed.

Anyways am definitely getting a fan. Just wondering if i really need a 400w smps now dat i hav removed one hd:confused: Wat is the voltage requirement of a 120mm fan and in wat sizes r fans available :?:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
pushkaraj said:
After having my 40gb hd removed, i m observing dat even after keeping my pc on for 4 hrs , the temp is remaining close to 51C (an improvement though minor :) ). I suspect dat this particular hd had been connected very close 2 one of the other hds and dat is the reason why the air flow was obstructed.

Anyways am definitely getting a fan. Just wondering if i really need a 400w smps now dat i hav removed one hd:confused: Wat is the voltage requirement of a 120mm fan and in wat sizes r fans available :?:
No. I have 2 HDDs placed one over other. They get heated but never give any problem as my SMPS is 750 W.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
Check out the speedfan screenshot. Wanna know wat is the diff between CPU and SYSTEM temp :?:

And wat cud smps of low power hav to do with the overheating of hds :confused:

Hells_Fury

In the zone
CPU temp is self-explanatory. Its the temp of your processor. System temp will be the motherboard chipset temperature.
I feel that 350W would be enough for you. Just install the two fans and see if there are any problems. If there arent, then well and good. And if there are then just get a new PSU. If you plan on getting a graphics card, then you better upgrade your PSU.

And just one more thing, clean the heatsink/fan of your processor on a regular basis as dust builds up there and prevents proper cooling of the CPU.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
CPU temp is self-explanatory. Its the temp of your processor. System temp will be the motherboard chipset temperature.
:arrow: Point noted :))
I feel that 350W would be enough for you. Just install the two fans and see if there are any problems. If there arent, then well and good. And if there are then just get a new PSU. If you plan on getting a graphics card, then you better upgrade your PSU.
M quite satisfied with my onboard GeForce 6100 GPU. So no gfx card intended. So i guess i wud stick to my 350w psu......;) ......

And just one more thing, clean the heatsink/fan of your processor on a regular basis as dust builds up there and prevents proper cooling of the CPU.
Will definitely do dat regularly......:D ......

THANX A LOT FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom