SMPS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetboy

Journeyman
Dear Friends,

I hope you can help me out here. I have been facing problems with my powersafe 500 Watts SMPS. I have a XFX 6600GT 128 MB AGP 8X card with intel 865GBF motherboard.

When i play the games on higher levels the game minimizes and the power indicator window pops up saying the card is not getting enough power. I had even send my SMPS to the service center and they have repaired it not replaced it. But still after a period of about 10-15 days the problem has started again

One more thing I had started monitoring that was the intel active monitor. The 12 V power meter is always showing above 12. But the 5V meter is always below 5 at about 4.8 . Do I need to switch over too Antec SMPS :(((

Please help i am not able to play games even tho I have a good card here. I have paid a good 2700 for the SMPS and this is what i am getting :(

The power problem is even causing hardisk to make noises, due to which the applications and games hangup.. dont know for sure tho..might be due to less power..HELP!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
Does your gfxcard/mobo have any extra power plug/adaptor.. plug one of the power supply plugs into it. and a little over/under voltages is not a problem...

use a monitor that can record a graph of voltages and run some power software like (OCCT, PRIME 95 will test ur cpu and memoryalone and play some h/w intensive games to chk the gfx card) to see what happens, now look at the history graph of the monitor software to see wether voltages dip too much while such apps are running, if this happens then def ur smps is either gone bad or seriouly underrated, try smps from other comp/friedn to see what exactly is the prob.. i hope uhave not overclocked....

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@ Rollercoaster

Thx for your reply, i have tried other power plugs too, but that didnt help.I'll go for the software that you have mentioned..Thx again i hope this gets solved.

Will wait for some more replies too :)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Hmm ... rating of ur psu ???? I mean .. how many amps does it supply across the 12V rail ??? U should need atleast 16A across 12V for ur pc to run absolutely with the 6600GT ....

dont take antec pure waste of money

im running xfx 6600 gc on frontech 300W from last 6 monthzz

so i think 500W is enuf

mine model supplies 12A on 12V rail

your problem could be motherboard and make sure that the system and gc has good cooling solution

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Confirm the ampere rating, especially of the 12V rail. Also see whether there is a power connector for the G card and if so, it is connected.

BTW many SMPS do not supply the power they claim to, especially if it is very light in weight.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
Thanks a lot for your replies @deathvirus_me,chota_rod_waala,janitha

As I can see the power ratings. Its lke below

+3.3V - 28A

+5V - 50A

+12V - 18A

-12V - 1.0A

-5V - 0.8A

+5VSB - 2.5A

This seems fine according to you ratings and yes dudes the SMPS is very heavy. It has actually made my vibrating cabinet stable :)

@janitha

Yes i have an idea about the power cable going to G card.

BTW I wud speciallty like to mention here this doesnt happen always, one day it will work just fine but the othe day it will give the warning

Pleaseeee help guys

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
"Yes i have "an idea" about the power cable going to G card"
Do you mean that the power cable is really conncted to the card? If so, make sure the connection is not loose.

Last edited:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
+12V - 18A

Looks fine ....

Then make sure the molex supplying power to the 6600GT is in a good condition ... swap it with other moles's if required ...

dont take antec pure waste of money

im running xfx 6600 gc on frontech 300W from last 6 monthzz

so i think 500W is enuf

mine model supplies 12A on 12V rail

And what are ur opinion based on ??? Dude ... go out an buy urself an Ibox 450W psu .. and my antec will be still better than it by miles .... keep away the better models ...

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
Hello friends,

Even i have some knowledge about hardware and believe me i have tried all the pins even tried only a single branch going to the G card leaving other pins free so that the Gcard gets all the power, even removed the pins from CD-RW and DVD still same. This is killing me!!!! :( :(. I cant play games even after spending 9.5 grands on a card and then 2.7 grands on SMPS :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom