small business server ( free) :)

Best server OS to deploy a server for a small business office. No enterprice support please :)

• FreeBSD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OpenBSD

• Linux: Fedora core4

• Linux: OpenSUSE

• Linux: Mandriva

• Linux: CentOS

• Debian GNU/Linux

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

y0gi

Right off the assembly line
Hello all,

Here I wish to discuss about, our need and I wish to get solutions for that.

Need: A server capable of serving 1 - 3 websites, 100-200 e-mail accounts.We dont need Dot net or ASP based and even JAVA based applications to run.We need only PHP/perl with mysql based simple applications to run in those websites.

In hand: we have an AMD Athlon64 2800+ processor, 512 MB DDR ( if needed we can upgrade), 80GB IDE HDD, 256 Kbps ADSL connection with a static IP ( we wish to upgrade it to 512kbps when the need comes).

Objective:

The first and immediate need is to choose a stable, secure OS to satisfy our need. I have the following options.

SOLARIS 10/ open solaris
FreeBSD
OpenBSD
Linux: Debian
Linux: Fedora core4
Linux: OpenSUSE
Linux: Mandriva
Linux: CentOS
Debian GNU/Linux

Can you help me to choose from the best OR If you wish to offer any other addition. After we come a conclusion about OS, we can discuss about software tobe used.

First thing is "What should be the server OS platform" to choose?

Thanks for thinking to help :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
y0gi said:
Linux: Fedora core4
Linux: OpenSUSE
These two are testing distributions and are more likely to have broken componends. You have an option for deploying Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 'Sarge' which provides you a extremely stable platform comparable to enterprise class servers, and that too with minimum expertise and resources.

I have deployed many servers for small business usage on Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 'Sarge' . I am in the process of documenting everything and comiling the steps needed to deploy a medium class server. My unfinished article can be found here:
*bsd.miki.eu.org/roller/page/anurag

Currently i have just covered Mail Server Exim4. I plan to write about deploying Gateway,Local DNS, Proxy, NIS, Webmail, POP3, chapters too as an when i get time.

OP
Y

y0gi

Hi Firewall :)

firewall said:
CentOS,

but where is Debian ??? and btw CentOs is also a gnu/linux distro.

:)

Now Debian is also added. But as I can't edit Poll, we can discuss debian too.
Also CentOS is a GNU/Linux. Accepted.

Thanks for correction.

What is your solution for my OS issue ?

OP
Y

y0gi

Can any one suggest the best OS in terms of easy to admin :

our final choices are:

SOLARIS/FreeBSD/Linux( TRUSTIX/CENTOS/FEDORA )

can any body sahare a view on this ?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
the installation is a bit difficult but as far administaration is concern GENTOO is a dream. Every thing is sooooo simple.
GENTOO RULEZZZZZZZZZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom