Status
Not open for further replies.

ashisharya

In the zone
I am using WIn XP, P3, 256 SD RAM, 730 MHz Computer. My computer becomes very slow. The speed of net is also decreased times over. I have defraged drives and did a scandisk. Should I format my system?

vipul

Broken In
hi ashisharya

u need some performance incressr softwares

or u do that by choosing best performance option in system/advanced/settings and make ur wallpaper as blank set theme to classic

i think it may increse ur speed

try..

Charley

Just Do It
try to browse in safe mode with networking and if your computer is faster do clean boot and check if third party services or startup items are causing issue

Mr.47

Broken In
u might be infected with sasserworm
download the patch and removal tool search for it in microsoft.com
keep windows up to date
also enable ure firewall
use disk clean up utility in system tools after every time u use the internet also go to blackviper.com
and download these zip files they contain .pdf
which describe which Xp services to disable
and make sure dma is enabled ffor all drives

use this tool dustbusterXP search for it or pm me your email id

swatkat

Technomancer
do u hav lots of processes/programs running in background? try disabling some not so essential ones!
or it may be due viruses/spywares....
do a virus scan with NOD32 Antivirus (a very good AV!), AdAware and SpyBot SnD..
*www.nod32.com/download/trial.htm
*www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
*security.kolla.de/

post the content of HijackThis log file here....
*www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

digant_goyal

Broken In
solved...

hello aishwarya,
you can increase the speed by disabling the startup items from statup,

this can be done as follws..
statr>run>>msconfig>startup
then uncheck the unnecessary things...

suj_engico

Broken In
Cant imagine that u still use a 730Mhz processor in this advanced world of Ghz processors.
That is the main reason of slowdown.Use diskcleanup & free the unwanted space. Occupying more space in the HD reduces speed considerably.

theraven

Technomancer
NOOO
realllllyyy ??
GHz ?
:shock:
you're kiddin me ...
is my 486 out of date mr. suj_engico ?
cant i run windows xp on it ?

slow processors cause slowdown problems ?
do you work for digit ?

plz temme how occupying more sapce on the hdd reduces the speed ... i would like to free some space on my 100 mb hdd !!

BTW: if i wish to upgrade my system as per your advice ... would you be ready to finance me ?
thanking you in anticipation,
theraven.

BTW just like reinstallation isnt the solution for every problem , an upgrade is not the solution for every pc's slowdown .
how feasible do u think it is for normal everyday ppl to upgrade their computers to the "world of GHz" every time there's a new technology on the bend

occupying space on ur hdd has a long term effect on the hdd as in fragmentation of files
and it takes a lot of time for them to get fragmented. as he has mentioned he has already run disk defrag

when you have absolutely no clue what to advice someone except for ur n00bish replies plz refrain urself from posting any furhter
stick to askin questions ...

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
@suj_engico : we r supposed to look for the solutions for his probs here, not the reason why he is running P3!! so please stop your ©®@p

edit:4th mar
i run Xp on my 300a mhz celeron, 4.1 gb hdd, with 128mb ram.just a few tweaks and it is more faster than win98!!!!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Do the following:

1. First make ur winxp appear like win 98/2000
Right click desktop --->properties---> appearance-->windows and buttons -->select classic style
This make a bit faster, i have tried on my system as well.

2. Use application which take less system resources
Like AV: NOD32
audio player: foobar
multimedia player: media player classic, or vlc lan player.
Firewall: sygate, etc...

3. Disable unwanted services
Windows can be made to work as a server as well, so there will be many services which u wont need. Do the following:

a. Click Control Panel
b. Double click Services
c. Select the service you want to modify
d. Click the Startup button
e. Select Disabled or Manual under Startup Type
Even if u are not sure of whether u will using those service then u can set it to manual and not as disable.

4. Manually disable the service, that u wont need
For eg, when u have installed Y! messenger, it will start on startup and u wont be needing it's service, in the same way windows messenger or MSN messenger, or when u have powerDVD installed, then without ur intension it starts a service "powerdvdserv" thing and takes up 4mb of memory.
So u can disable them by: starting the task manager (ctrl+alt+del)-->process , and closing in unwanted services..

ashisharya said:
The speed of net is also decreased times over
Do this :
1.Disable automatic updates (u can get them in digit DVD)
2. use FF or opera browsers

suj_engico said:
Cant imagine that u still use a 730Mhz processor in this advanced world of Ghz processors.
I have 800Mhz P3 processor, 128MB RAM and still i have installed winxp and it works good and not slowed down my system.

:D

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
theraven said:
NOOO
realllllyyy ??
GHz ?
you're kiddin me ...
is my 486 out of date mr. suj_engico ?
cant i run windows xp on it ?

slow processors cause slowdown problems ?
do you work for digit ?

plz temme how occupying more sapce on the hdd reduces the speed ... i would like to free some space on my 100 mb hdd !!

BTW: if i wish to upgrade my system as per your advice ... would you be ready to finance me ?
thanking you in anticipation,
theraven.

BTW just like reinstallation isnt the solution for every problem , an upgrade is not the solution for every pc's slowdown .
how feasible do u think it is for normal everyday ppl to upgrade their computers to the "world of GHz" every time there's a new technology on the bend

occupying space on ur hdd has a long term effect on the hdd as in fragmentation of files
and it takes a lot of time for them to get fragmented. as he has mentioned he has already run disk defrag

when you have absolutely no clue what to advice someone except for ur n00bish replies plz refrain urself from posting any furhter
stick to askin questions ...

:lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oh Myyyyy Goooood.....looook at raven thats after poor suj_engico!!!!!!!!
nd on the other hand engico u deserved it.... :twisted: :twisted:

Dipen01

Youngling
hey there...

My config.. is PIII 64 SD RAM 1 GHZ and i have installed Win XP and Win ME... :lol: :lol:
of-corse sometimes its irritating to wait for 3-5 min just to boot... but chalta hai... overall working gr8...
just keep em tweaking.. derfragmenting and removing startup and all..

Cheers.
Dipen

OP
ashisharya

ashisharya

In the zone
Thanks For Your Replies! My system was infected by a virus name Sasser.E which was removed by Microsoft Sasser Remover. I also disable some start-up programmes and I am using FireFox now.

Thanks For Your Helpful Replies!

techsavvy

Broken In
suj_engico said:
That is the main reason of slowdown.Use diskcleanup & free the unwanted space. Occupying more space in the HD reduces speed considerably.

U HAVE NO IDEA ABT. WHAT UR TALKING MAN.

I HV ALSO GOT EXACTLY THE SAME PROB.
I HV NOT DEFRAG. MY PC .DOES DEFRAGMENT. WORK TO INCREASE THE SPEED?
CAN VIRUSES BE THE CAUSE FOR THIS PROBLEM.

I HV SCANNED MY PC WITH AVAST AND NOT FOUND ANY.

IS AVAST RELIABLE IN DETECTING TROJANS,KEYLOGGERS,ETC. ??????

suj_engico

Broken In
HEY techsavvy
I know that u have not updated ur AVAST antivirus.
try to do that first as avast is able to detect at least some trojans if not all.
Defragmentation doe seriously affect ur PC speed.
Data retrieval is faster.
Viruses can also be a major problem .
But u mentioned that u have run antivirus.
This eliminates ur doubt to some extent.

One more thing it try to reduce the no. of items in u r systray.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
techsavvy said:
suj_engico said:

U HAVE NO IDEA ABT. WHAT UR TALKING MAN.

I HV ALSO GOT EXACTLY THE SAME PROB.
I HV NOT DEFRAG. MY PC .DOES DEFRAGMENT. WORK TO INCREASE THE SPEED?
CAN VIRUSES BE THE CAUSE FOR THIS PROBLEM.

I HV SCANNED MY PC WITH AVAST AND NOT FOUND ANY.

IS AVAST RELIABLE IN DETECTING TROJANS,KEYLOGGERS,ETC. ??????
Try spyware scanning by the help of Microsoft Antispyware. www.microsoft.com/downloads for download

techsavvy

Broken In
suj_engico said:
HEY techsavvy
I know that u have not updated ur AVAST antivirus.
try to do that first as avast is able to detect at least some trojans if not all.
Defragmentation doe seriously affect ur PC speed.
Data retrieval is faster.
Viruses can also be a major problem .
But u mentioned that u have run antivirus.
This eliminates ur doubt to some extent.

One more thing it try to reduce the no. of items in u r systray.

how do u know that i hv not updated my antivirus?r u in ur senses

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
If you want your computer to be faster than it really is, i want to recommend you some programs which will really speed up your computer (the programs are tested on XP only).

1. PC Booster
-------------
This program is too good. It is a 14 day trial but you WILL NOT need it for more than a day to improve your PC performance. Just install it and use it once and then you can uninstall it. It will do the job with the first use. Download it from the link below:

*www.google.com/search?q=pc+booster+download+majorgeeks

This program will improve your Menu Speed, Hard-disk Speed and most importantly your Boot Speed. You will really feel your computer booting faster. This is the first program that i install after XP installation. This is too good to resist. There is no reason that you shouldn't try this program. It is just a 2.75 Mb download and the program is certainly worth it. The best thing is that you can uninstall it after the first use and it will leave nothing but a quick booting computer.

2. CacheBoost
-------------
This program is a very good RAM and Cache manager for XP based system. This is too good. It keeps your RAM optimized and your Cache (not internet cache, system cache) managed. It also provides options to

"Force Windows To Use Large System Cache." which will make your computer more responsive.

"Force Windows to keep its Core Kernel Executive in the memory and do not swap it to a page file." which will improve performance and less disk activity.

"Force Windows that it should not update time stamps on file names to improve performance." which disables the updating of the last time stamps that windows does and hence improves performance.

"Increase performance by allocating more Critical threads." which willforce Windows to create additional threads in advance so that theey need not be created just when they are needed. This improves performance.

"Disable Creating Short Filenames on NTFS partitions to improve performance" which will force the NTFS Volumes (if any) to stop creating legacy 8.3 short file names for their respective long file names which will improve 16 bit application performance and boost heavily used Ntfs Volumes' performance.

A trial version of this program is available in the following website:
*www.systweak.com

3. PcBoost
----------
This is another program which will really help your performance by managing the critical threats on your computer. It will also give more CPU priority to the programs which are currently operating. This will make your computer more responsive. This program is recommended for every user. It will help to use your CPU to the best. For those with slow processors, it is the best freeware solution. Download it from the link below. The search will directly find the Download page from www.majorgeeks.com as the first item.

*www.google.com/search?q=pcboost+download+majorgeeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom