Sli Or Crossfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersaiyan

In the zone
i have a friend who is filthy rich. he wants to assemble a gaming rig and he has no budget boundaries. keeping this in mind and the products available in india i decided to get him pretty high end config. now the only problem is whether i should get a crossfire setup(x1900xtx powercolor) or a sli setup(gainward 7900gtx). on this basis i will also decide the mobo.

knaadhan

Broken In
The SLI technology from nVidia is better because if u connect two graphics cards using SLI u will get very high performance...(though u can only link 2 graphics cards of the same model)...however if u go for ATI's crossfire (which claims linkage between ANY TWO ATi chipset cards) the two cards will perform at the level of the lower of the two cards, which obviously is not good! I read this in an IEEE magazine once...so i leave it upto u goku!

OP
S

supersaiyan

In the zone
knaadhan said:
The SLI technology from nVidia is better because if u connect two graphics cards using SLI u will get very high performance...(though u can only link 2 graphics cards of the same model)...however if u go for ATI's crossfire (which claims linkage between ANY TWO ATi chipset cards) the two cards will perform at the level of the lower of the two cards, which obviously is not good! I read this in an IEEE magazine once...so i leave it upto u goku!
but i am getting two identical x1900xtx. so i don't think there would be any problem of lower performance. just imagine the power of that system. drooooolll

cyrux

In the zone
What about the nvida 7950 Gx2 ??

Can this card be used in sli mode ? That would make 4 7900GT...

\/endett/\

Broken In
What would happen if some1 uses FireGL or Quadro FX for gaming purposes..i mean..they r meant for workstations,but what if they r used for gaming...r they better than x1900xtx and 7950x2 ?

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well ... SLi the 7950GX2 would be a nice idea ... but there is no official support for that yet ... and the performance increase from a single 7950GX2 is only about 3-4 fps .. seriously ..... u still don't have a CPU not bottlenecking a SLi setup .... yess even a FX62 is a SLi bottleneck ... so even that won't be a good CPU for a Sli'ed 7950GX2 ... not unless u can afford Two Dual Core Opteron 285's .. running with 16 MB of ram etc. etc ....

OP
S

supersaiyan

In the zone
\/endett/\ said:
What would happen if some1 uses FireGL or Quadro FX for gaming purposes..i mean..they r meant for workstations,but what if they r used for gaming...r they better than x1900xtx and 7950x2 ?
No no these gfx cards are specifically meant for workstations. nothing else. these gfx cards specialize in workstations like making movies,etc. not gaming.

cyrux

In the zone
Just for the info Asus, giagabyte and most of the other board manafacturers are providing nvidia 7950 gx2 @ $600 (27000) and msi is giving @ $550 (25000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom