SLI and CrossFire????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debu_013

Freshly Churned Chutny :)
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Hi there,
can any one there please clarify about the SLI and crossfire systems.

******In motherboards of different companies, some say crossfire ready and some say sli ready. But both the systems run on PCI-Express x16 slots.
So can't we run crossfire on an sli ready board and vice versa.
Eg- run RAdeon X1800XL on nVIDIA 570 motherboard.

******Also, are 7600GT and radeon X1800xl dual gpu cards? Are these cards available as both single and dual GPU models.

******Which is the best vendor of ATI products? I have heard that Sapphire is of sub-par quality and Gigabyte is a standard product maker.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
sli is a technology by nvidia which allows a user to connect two(or 4 in quad sli)
nvidia graphics cards together.the cards should be of same model ex. two 7600gts but not 7600 and 6600.

while crossfire is a technology by ati which allows to connect two ati cards together.The cards may be of different models.this allows backward compatibility.

no we cant.

plz rep me:) :)

OP
Debu_013

Debu_013

Are 7600GT and radeon X1800xl dual gpu cards? Are these cards available as both single and dual GPU models.?????????????

Kniwor

Learner
Debu_013 said:
******Which is the best vendor of ATI products? I have heard that Sapphire is of sub-par quality and Gigabyte is a standard product maker.

I am astonished at this comment of yours, might i know where did u collect this info, sapphire has rolled out some of the most talked about cards in the industry.

no you cant have a crossfire setup on sli ready card and vice-versa.

you dont require a master card in case of sli, all nvidia cards these days is sli ready, meaning just get 2 identical cards and you are good to go. but SLI is a pity and i would really not suggest an SLI system. it's a no-performance-waste of money.

Whereas you require a master card to set up a crossfire system.

Kniwor

Learner
ssdivisiongermany1933 said:
Opt for SLI
I already said, SLI is a waste, unless u have infinite money......
you barely get an averaage 10% performance boost over the same single card, better get a costlier card...

It also depends on the games you play, in some games, SLI does good, and there are times when it is worse than even the single card in there..... Which means adding another card decreases performance.

OP
Debu_013

Debu_013

If what u guys say is true it means i my plans of getting a dual gpu are off. it is too costly.

Whatever can i at least a Radeon X1800xl card on an nvidia 570 motherboard?

Kniwor

Learner
check for any specific issues, otherwise ATi cards have been fine on nVidia chipsets, there have been issues though with some chipsets or cards.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Its best to use ATI cards on an ATI chipset boards nd in dat way u can also use some unique features which can only be used if plugged into an ATI board.
There are something like this on some nvidia cards nd boards also. Some even say their nvidia card didnt run on their ati board.

Its true that SLI or even crossfire is wasts for most games, its dun forget that the future will go with parralelism nd not with shear power. Take the case of Crysis. Crytek says that games gonna make use of Multi CPU nd GPU like no game had done before. So future games will be extremely tweaked to fully utilize multi GPU.

SLI nd Crossfire has its demerits also.
*We never get 100% efficiency. That is(take the case of a populr GPU) 2x7600GT will never give twice the benchmark of a single 7600GT.
*Heat will always be a problem. The covered card or the upper card heats up quickly unless its a dual slot card nd throws heat outward the chassis. So overclocking ih highly limited coz the cards may not be stable sometimes even at stock clocks. Take the case of XFX 7950 GX2 nd its XXX varient. Digit has excluded the stock XFX 7950 GX2 from the benchmark nd said it has some stability issues due to heat. So u can imagine the case of the company overclocked XXX varient cox it has the same heatsink fan.
*Power consumption is another problem. U will need a gud quality 450W to run 2 mid range cards nd u will need a 550 or higher PSU to run 2 high end cards whether SLI or Crossfire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom