Skype 2.0 for Linux - Seeing is believing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Today we’re proud to announce the general release of video calls in Skype 2.0 for Linux. As you may already know, the best things in life are often free and now you can make (and receive) free, great quality video calls on Linux.

I thought long and hard about what I could say about this release. But you know the adage, “Seeing Skype 2.0 for Linux is worth a thousand words.” So I’m keeping this short and to the point. Download it now to see (and hear) for yourself. Skype 2.0 for Linux builds upon the ground foundation of our previous release and adds the feature you’ve all been asking for - video.

*share.skype.com/sites/linux/skypelinux_video.png
We didn’t just stop there. We fixed hundreds of bugs, improved audio quality and made Skype that much easier to use. This version is now available in 20 languages (including English), so thanks to all our translators!

Read the full release notes and find out more about the release over on developer.skype.com

Source

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i havnt tried this version but the beats of this version i tried did not support my logitech chindi web cam and i was getting all black image i asked on skype forums and they siad its because drivers or support for ur cam is not thr .... will try this wen i go into ubuntu i hope its sorted the issue

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
That's a good news. I am badly missing Skype in Ubuntu. Let me try this. But version 2 is very old. It's already version 3.6 for Windows. I am sure further development will be very soon as skype gains popularity in Linux.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
That's a good news. I am badly missing Skype in Ubuntu. Let me try this. But version 2 is very old. It's already version 3.6 for Windows. I am sure further development will be very soon as skype gains popularity in Linux.

It's not necessary that v2.0 in linux = version 2.0 in windows!!:grin:

Because the development cycles are different as the platform is different.

It's not a unified v2.0 for all platforms! like most softwares are.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
make sure your webcam works before trying this out

For Ubuntu this would help you to setup your cam
*help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam

I Edited the wiki page to include Skype:D

Supported cams: *wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsMultimediaWebCameras

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
Ekiga-it is used in Gnome.
*ekiga.org/admin/screenshots/latest/thumbnails/T_Ekiga_in_a_Call.png
Ekiga vs skype review:
Many of us wonder, why is there so much excitement over Skype when, at its core, Ekiga is a more robust application with even more maturity behind it? The answer to that is rather simple - provide a compelling reason to use something besides Skype. Honestly, I believe Ekiga blows Skype out of the water with mature features (video calls) and it's open source heritage, which means that nothing 'weird' is going on without you knowing about it. Yet many Linux users by the truckload will still migrate over to Skype because they 'know' about this application from other platforms.
*www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8076
Cheese is a interesting application although I suspect it is a rip of OS X photobooth :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I used to use this feature while in Beta. I odn't think they've changed much as it was working perfectly then :)

Ekiga-it is used in Gnome.

Ekiga vs skype review:

*www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8076
Cheese is a interesting application although I suspect it is a rip of OS X photobooth :D

While Ekiga is a multi-protocol and free service I've experienced bad quality with it. No doubt Ekiga is cheaper than Skype but I could never get the same quality and reliability, not the mention the ugly interface (anyways, I could live with it :) )

praka123

left this forum longback
well,let Ekiga to improve.Im sure it will be a good option too.anyways video chat clients seems problematic in X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom