Size of data on CD :- 1.14GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikhar

Journeyman
My friend gave me an 669 MB ISO file of some freewares and trial version on a CD (which he had downloaded from www.download.com). I opened the file & extracted to check whether the file was corrupted or not. The size of the folder in which all the files were extracted was 1.14 GB. I opened that ISO file through Nero 6.6.0.6 and burned it on a CD.
I checked the size of the disk and found that it was 669 MB. However when I checked the size of one of the folder it was 1.14 GB.
Any idea how this is possible??? :eek:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
well here i assume that "after extration" means that ur folder had been compressed.....meaning that there are softwares like winzip and winrar and many other compression utilities to compress big chuck of files to certain extent....like for eg. a 6 Disc game can be heavily compressed using winrar to make it a 3 Disc version....also like in ur case the ISO Cd image that ur friend gave ya was actually a compressed folder of 669MB (Actual disc size) and after extraction it came to its original size i.e. 1.14GB....there are tons of utilities that can be used for compressing files....just google for em :wink:

here are a few
www.downloadfreetrial.com/utilities/file_compression.html
*search.looksmart.com/p/browse/us1/us317831/us317879/us171694/us171733/

good luck 8)

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
hi but.. whenever i try to compres around 900MB data of .pdf files it compress only to 825 when i increase the compression to maximum it goes upto 722 only.. any idea of compressing to half the size..... :)

aadipa

Padawan
nothing to do with compression

its a symbolic links working on cds

similar files in diff folders are stored on the cd only one. its links are entered into the file table so that every folder appers to have its own copy of such files.

u can use CDIMAGE software for creating such ISOs.

This technique is generally used in "n in 1" type of Windows OS CDs.

theraven

Technomancer
yeah aadi i thot of that too
infact id posted that a couple of months ago on the same topic
but this guy's talkin abt freeware/shareware on the cd
thats y i didnt post
i wonder how he did that unless he compressed it using some software

@allwyndlima
i think what he meantby extraction was extraction from the iso !!

@xenka use uharc

swatkat

Technomancer
xenkatesh said:
hi but.. whenever i try to compres around 900MB data of .pdf files it compress only to 825 when i increase the compression to maximum it goes upto 722 only.. any idea of compressing to half the size..... :)

as mentioned by raven, use uharc (one of the best compression algorithm), but it's DOS based tool, so to ease up the things there are GUI based tools, like WinUHA, the GUI tool, with the power of UHA and Uharc-GUI, another UHA based GUI tool...

Actually there's another format which gives better compression that UHA, it's called UDA. The tool is called WinUDA, a small GUI based software....
*dwing.spymac.net/download/WinUDA28.zip

but keep in mins that, these softwares take a lot of time to compress....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom