[size=18]Connecting CD-Writer - Expert Opinion Required[/siz

Status
Not open for further replies.

harishkp

Right off the assembly line
I have purchased a CD-Writer and i already have a CD-ROM drive in my PC. Which is the best option to connect the CD-Writer - in Primary IDE or Secondary IDE ? Is there will be any performance gain by connecting CD-ROM Drive and CD-Writer on the Same IDE connector as Master and slave ? or is it better to connect the CD-Writer as the slave with the HDD as the master on the Primary IDE ? I am looking for the option ensuring best CD writing speed. Please HELP :roll:

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
it dosnt really matter u 2 connect anywhere wether pri slave or 2ndary mas or slv...but still for ur sake connect it to 2ndary master for direct data transfer...n to get optimum transfer speed u need 2 take care of lotsa other things.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
I will put it in simple words,

Primary Master - Hard Disk [mandatory]
Primary Slave - Hard Disk OR Optical Drive
Secondary Master - Optical drive
Secondary Slave - Optical Drive

It doesnt make much difference if u connect CD-RW or CD Rom to Secondary master or Slave.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
agree wid darklod and speedyguy. explaination's like this....

if harddisk is connected to primary channel, do not connect cdrw to that....most optical drives transfer data via pio mode 4 or multiword dma and the max data trans rate is 16.66mb/s or 33.33mb/s and the max speed of a channel (IDE controller) is limited by the slowest drive connected to it.... so even if bios shows a uata 133/100/66/33 transfer rate for an HDD and if any optical drive using pio 4 or mw-dma is connected the max thro-output is somewhere 16.66mb/s to 33.33mb/s. so separate the two drives...

also as speedyguy said connect the cdrw as sec master as it offers direct data transfer not involving cdrom...this helps when burning CDs...

i personally haf 2 harddisks on primary channel and a cdrw as sec master and cdrom as sec slave...

swatkat

Technomancer
For max. performance of Writer:-

Primary Master:-HDD
Primary Slave:-CD ROM

Secondary Master:-CD Writer

that's all....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom